Shark Attack off Adelaide, South Australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We were just talking in another thread about the extreme rarity of divers being attacked by great whites. I wonder what species this shark was (and if they'll ever really know unless they recover the body)?

It's not confirmed yet, but IMHO this attack was almost certainly a Great White. The waters of South Australia are notorious for them. The world record biggest GWS was caught near Ceduna, and there have been many commerical and abalone divers taken in South Australia over the years. The great whites grow fat on seals and cool-water pelagics such as tuna in these waters.

But, with 14 thousand miles of coastline and thousands of people in the water all the time, Australia is statistically a safe place to enjoy the water (having said that, you will not catch me swimming or diving in South Australia - the reputation of their big great whites is too much for me). In fact, I believe that on average the US has almost as many shark attacks as Australia and most of the rest of the world put together.

From what I understand, attacks in the US seem to be from smaller but very aggressive sharks, and the victim often survives, even with terrible injuries. I am ready to stand corrected, but that's what I've read on some of the the scientific sites.

Well, at least they found his "oxygen" tank... I hate the press sometimes.

Wayward Son:
Yes, very rare for a scuba diver not on the surface to be hit. My condolences.
The diver was on the surface trying to get back onto the boat when the attack happened - the shark had been spotted in the water and two people on the boat were trying to get the two divers in the water back on board when one was taken.

The diver's name has been released, he was a marine biology student from Adelaide University on a research dive.

Here is a little more info from AOL, being taken deeper sounds even more terrifying than a shark attack at the surface. They mentioned finding his air tank and buoyancy vest.

CANBERRA, Australia (Aug. 25) - A marine biologist killed in a shark attack had calmly fought off the predator before it returned and pulled him deep into the water, his diving partner said Thursday.
Police have abandoned the search for body of 23-year-old Jarrod Stehbens following the attack Wednesday off Glenelg Beach on Australia's south coast - a region that has seen five fatal shark attacks since 2000.

"Jarrod fought it off initially, then it came back again and grabbed his leg and just took him deeper," Stehbens' diving partner Justin Rowntree said Thursday.

"He seemed quite calm - he was trying to get his leg out of its mouth," he added.

AOL article

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom