Shark attack, Egypt, Brothers islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If it were my op, as long as you pay for the trip, you're welcome to not dive at all. It's only less work for us. It'd be a rather weird model if they took you on a week+-long LOB trip and had you pay for individual dives. :wink:

I really meant that in the sense that everyone was expected to hit a number. Silly me.

Previously shared on another thread. Big brother, 11/19/2018, close to 4 p.m.

Gerry Carter

My only worry (I think) would be if there were strong currents which I don't have much experience with. I've done a couple drift dives (with a fairly low value of "drift"). I've had to get onto boats in pretty rough water a couple times - at night too, so that's good experience in patience and timing...
Having done "Simply the Best" with Blue O2, I would say that there is nothing to worry about - I did it with less than 50 dives (not by much though - IIRC 45ish) and managed everything fine. There were a couple of dives with strong current (one of which switched round about the turn point so it was current both ways and impossible to swim against) but the ribs were out and they simply picked everyone up wherever they popped up after their stops.

The drifts are good fun. Just be careful looking out for turning points - I did one of them (with 5 others in 3 pairs which consisted of 2 instructors, my buddy who happens to be a DM and 2 other more experienced divers) where we were to look for a certain feature at which point we were to move to the top of the reef and mark a 90 degree turn which would take us back to the boats. Needless to say we all missed the feature and found that when we surfaced we were a long way away from the boats. Not an issue as the rib had seen our DSMBs and picked us up. A few sheepish looks were exchanged but we had a good laugh about it.

Yes, a bit more challenging compared to say the Northern Wrecks and Reefs itinerary which is more of an all-rounder.

It's mainly down to stronger currents and remote location. Some operators state minimum 30 dives, some 50, but definitely AOW and up.

AFAIK there are no longer any number if required dives by most operators. There are recommendations. Most operators will also do AOW courses on this trip so AOW is not a requirement.

I have seen at least one guide refuse to guide because of the number of dives and level of experience (e.g. 17 dives).

The diving in this location can be strenuous, deep, and long way from land with some large critters and should be treated with respect. It’s not a place for novices.

some month ago I`d posted link about alligators attack statistics

Here is quite fresh Shark attack statistic Yearly Worldwide Shark Attack Summary

Unprovoked Attacks 66
Provoked Attacks 34
Boat Attacks 9
Scavenge 4
Habituation 1
Public Aquaria 1
Doubtful 10
Not Confirmed 5
Total Cases 130

Locality Total Fatal
USA 32 1
Australia 20 1
Bahama Islands 1 0
Brazil 3 1
Costa Rica 1 0
Egypt 3 1
Galapagos Islands 1 0
New Caledonia 1 0
New Zealand 1 0
Republic of South Africa 2 0
Thailand 1 0
Worldwide 66 4

2018 U.S. Statistics
Florida 16
California 1
Georgia 1
Hawaii 3
Massachusetts 2
New York 2
North Carolina 3
South Carolina 3
Texas 1
Total Cases 32

Victim Activity at Time of Attack
Surfing/board sports 53%
Swimming/wading 30%
Snorkeling/free-diving 6%
Body surfing/horseplay 3%
Scuba 5%
Other Shallow water activities 3%

Brothers has re-opened. New rules apply

From Dive magazine
By Mark 'Crowley' Russell

“The Egyptian Red Sea's Brothers Islands have reopened for scuba diving after a three-and-a-half month hiatus.

The Brothers Islands, which are only accessible by liveaboard, were closed to divers in late Decemberafter four biting incidents by oceanic whitetip sharks were reported. The most serious incident resulted in 'severe tissue loss' to a diver's calf muscle, however the other incidents resulted in minor scratches and a damaged BCD. Changes in the sharks' behaviour are thought to have been provoked by both deliberate and accidental feeding of the sharks, illegal fishing activity in the surrounding area, increased diver pressure, and a lack of awareness as to how to safely interact with the sharks.

The islands were closed for scuba diving to try to return the sharks to a more natural behaviour – hunting and feeding in the open sea, rather than congregating near dive boats. During the closure, all dive guides and liveaboard operators were required by the Chamber of Diving and Watersports (CDWS) to undertake a mandatory shark awareness course. The training programme was conducted by biologist Elke Bojanowski, Blue o Two dive guide and founder of the Red Sea Sharks project.

big_brother_island.jpg

Big Brother Island (Photo: Shutterstock)

In a statement released by the CDWS on 15 March, a list of new rules to be followed by liveaboard operators has been issued:

'All dive operations CDWS members have to abide to the provisions mentioned in the Governor decree, as follows:
1. It is not allowed to stay overnight in brother islands. The implementation of diving activities will be only from 6 AM till 4 PM after which all boats should leave.
2. The daily maximum capacity of boats on the brother islands are 18. 12 boats for the big brother and 6 for the small brother and only during the timing mentioned in item no. 1.
3. For Safari boats to apply for sailing permit to visit brother islands, first they have to get a coordination record with CDWS through the following link http://cdws.travel/brothers-schedule to be able to present it to the coast guard office of Red Sea governorate.
4. It is totally forbidden to dump any organic waste in the area of brother islands. It should be dumped in open water by a sufficient distance for at least 5 nautical miles.
Please abide to all what is mentioned in Red Sea governor decree to avoid penalties.' (sic)

Any change in the shark's behaviour during the monitoring process has not been officially released as yet. The effect of the new rules will undoubtedly be monitored. Reducing the number of boats in the area may lessen diver pressure somewhat, although a limit of 18 boats still means that several hundred divers per day will visit each island at peak times.

Of more significance is preventing the boats from overnighting at the Brothers. Liveaboards will typically sail overnight to the islands, and – depending on the itinerary – will spend an entire day at one before mooring overnight and visiting the other. Although it is already illegal to do so, organic waste such as kitchen scraps is more likely to be discarded into the water during this time. Oceanic whitetips are scavengers by day and hunters by night, so removing the boats and a potential food source may cause the sharks to maintain a more 'normal' behavioural pattern during the night.

It does mean, however, that itineraries involving the Brothers may have to be shortened to a single day, as there is nowhere nearby for the boats to moor. Travelling back and forth each day would require a huge amount of diesel and therefore be financially and environmentally prohibitive. Updates will be provided as and when further information is forthcoming.”

Hopefully this doesn’t just push the issue down to Daedalus but at least definite steps been taken to improve safe being of divers and sharks.

Thanks,
John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom