Shark attack, Egypt, Brothers islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nasty!!!!!
I hope the diver survived but that leg is going to be a mess. Pretty hard to pass that attack off as an accidental or exploratory bite by a creature with no interest in humans.

The shark seems agitated, its not behaving normally.

I'm hardly an expert but when i was in Shark El Sheik about a month ago and finally got to see a white tipped shark i was shocked at the amount of divers (around 30) from various groups chasing it down to get a closer look / better picture, I can only assume this will antagonize the shark and maybe provoke him to attack.

The area is also known for attracting sharks using bait (Not all dive operators do it but a lot of them do) which might help the sharks link between humans and food.

Not to mention the fact that before the attack itself, when the shark started getting too close for comfort, instead of pulling away or canceling the dive they just kept surrounding it and some of them are trashing around... probably did not help the situation.

P.S. The diver in question is alive but the shark took a pretty big chunk of his leg as a souvenir .

The shark seems agitated, its not behaving normally.

I'm hardly an expert but when i was in Shark El Sheik about a month ago and finally got to see a white tipped shark i was shocked at the amount of divers (around 30) from various groups chasing it down to get a closer look / better picture, I can only assume this will antagonize the shark and maybe provoke him to attack.

The area is also known for attracting sharks using bait (Not all dive operators do it but a lot of them do) which might help the sharks link between humans and food.

Not to mention the fact that before the attack itself, when the shark started getting too close for comfort, instead of pulling away or canceling the dive they just kept surrounding it and some of them are trashing around... probably did not help the situation.

P.S. The diver in question is alive but the shark took a pretty big chunk of his leg as a souvenir .

Agree with the comment about some divers continuing get to swim close (and apparently film with action cams) to a shark that is a known problem species with attitude. I give all sharks their space but I also have a small pouch on the right side of my BP that contains a 6ft folding spear (minus barb), in the event that any tootsie critter takes interest I can deploy that in seconds to keep them at bay, In the six years it has been there I have never taken it out once for any reason- but its still there just in case.

Agree with the comment about some divers continuing get to swim close (and apparently film with action cams) to a shark that is a known problem species with attitude. I give all sharks their space but I also have a small pouch on the right side of my BP that contains a 6ft folding spear (minus barb), in the event that any tootsie critter takes interest I can deploy that in seconds to keep them at bay, In the six years it has been there I have never taken it out once for any reason- but its still there just in case.

And im just sitting here, with my ittiy bitty knife with only 3.5 inches of blade length and a flat tip :shocked:
I need to get myself one of those spears lol

Nasty!!!!!
I hope the diver survived but that leg is going to be a mess. Pretty hard to pass that attack off as an accidental or exploratory bite by a creature with no interest in humans.
Yep. That shark/species would have eaten him given the chance. That was no exploratory bite. Had there been two or three, I suspect that guy would be dead.

If you look at the sharks mouth (white silhouette) it appears it took some meat. No exploratory bite.

Capture.JPG

Ouch. Yep, that's a piece off and a lot of blood.

Not that I blame the diver filming for cutting things off there, but it would have been useful to see what the shark was doing afterwards. It looked like once it took the bite out it zoomed away; did it come back and have to be kept at bay or did it take the bite and leave?

Very interesting sequence of events - it looked like the shark singled out one diver and was getting very aggressive with him; it does look like he initially put himself right in front of the shark to take pictures but I'm not sure if it was a personal space issue or the shark saw him as vulnerable. The actual bite comes after the first diver has fended the shark off twice and another diver is coming in to assist; the victim is a third diver who frog-kicked right into the shark's approach pattern without much concern and became a target of opportunity. In fighter pilot parlance he let it get behind his "3-9 line" and come straight in at his legs.

I don't like how spread out the group is and how long it takes for someone to back the first diver up.

Back
Top Bottom