Shark attack, Egypt, Brothers islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Brothers itinerary is usually 18 dives on a week long Liveaboard as night dives as not permitted on some of the dive sites. 50 dives is a prerequisite experience level for booking on the trip, not the number of dives on the trip itself. All Red Sea operators will carry out an easy 'check' dive first so divers can settle in, do weight checks, etc. Also an opportunity for the guides to discreetly asses everyone's ability level. Great trip by the way, you'll have a blast!

Anyone worried about inquisitive sharks, just take me along! I garauntee there won't be one for 50 miles as I'm probably the unluckiest shark spotter out there.
Is the 50 dives requirement because it is challenging ?

Is the 50 dives requirement because it is challenging ?
Yes, a bit more challenging compared to say the Northern Wrecks and Reefs itinerary which is more of an all-rounder.

It's mainly down to stronger currents and remote location. Some operators state minimum 30 dives, some 50, but definitely AOW and up.

So usually when I have seen requirements such have minimum X dives, there was never a time limit to have completed them.

They just asked that you must have done X dives in your life.

Sometimes people ask you to have dived recently but that is often an independent and additional requirement.

Doh. I really misinterpreted that! I thought that it meant the dive _trip_ required 50 dives!

So I have 49 dives logged (though I could count 2 more that were bailouts that I did not log...) - but, 19 of those were on a single trip last winter.. I'd think that concentrated, all boat dives, experience would qualify...

Thx.

:rofl3: 50 dives while on a 10-day trip... On schedule like that DSAT people bent their test diver on day 2.

On my vacation dive trip last winter, the senior DM (only DM on the dive) bailed on one of the last dives due to fatigue and left us to our own devices... needless to say we all came back a bit redline... :rolleyes:

Nice article.

I particularly paid attention to the phrase: "The shark then made an antagonistic display, with its pectoral fins down and back arched, but the divers didn't seem to notice the change in its demeanor."

Is this something people are briefed on before a dive?

Speculation: with over-fishing in a lot of ocean waters, perhaps White Tips are adapting to ... over-diving?

Doh. I really misinterpreted that! I thought that it meant the dive _trip_ required 50 dives!

So I have 49 dives logged (though I could count 2 more that were bailouts that I did not log...) - but, 19 of those were on a single trip last winter.. I'd think that concentrated, all boat dives, experience would qualify...

Thx.
I am pretty sure that nobody would stop you from joining a trip if you are 1 dive short from 50 :/

I heard DMs telling me that they had customers who proudly said that they had many dives (like almost 100) but not mentioning that they did almost all their dives in a quarry. Apparently some of them were quite dangerous in open water.

So it’s probably wotth being cautious when you dive in conditions you are not used to.

If it were my op, as long as you pay for the trip, you're welcome to not dive at all. It's only less work for us. It'd be a rather weird model if they took you on a week+-long LOB trip and had you pay for individual dives. :wink:

If it were my op, as long as you pay for the trip, you're welcome to not dive at all. It's only less work for us. It'd be a rather weird model if they took you on a week+-long LOB trip and had you pay for individual dives. :wink:
Sorry you cannot leave !
You have not finished your 50 dives, not getting back to the pier until you finish them !!! :)

Nice article.

I particularly paid attention to the phrase: "The shark then made an antagonistic display, with its pectoral fins down and back arched, but the divers didn't seem to notice the change in its demeanor."

Is this something people are briefed on before a dive?

It seems now that Egypt authorities make special training to the diveguides compulsory: from now on special training on diving with Longis is offered to guides, instructors and managers. Starting from mid March the Safari boats will be checked by the coastguard and guides and boats without this special training will become suspended:

CDWS - Chamber of Diving & Water Sports-غرفة سياحة الغوص والأنشطة البحرية

Chamber of Diving and Water sports - Red Sea - Egypt:

Wolfgang

I am pretty sure that nobody would stop you from joining a trip if you are 1 dive short from 50 :/

I heard DMs telling me that they had customers who proudly said that they had many dives (like almost 100) but not mentioning that they did almost all their dives in a quarry. Apparently some of them were quite dangerous in open water.

So it’s probably wotth being cautious when you dive in conditions you are not used to.

My only worry (I think) would be if there were strong currents which I don't have much experience with. I've done a couple drift dives (with a fairly low value of "drift"). I've had to get onto boats in pretty rough water a couple times - at night too, so that's good experience in patience and timing...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom