Shark attack, Egypt, Brothers islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wouldn't. If the shark realized this is her prey indeed, the 1st bite still was exploratory.

If I taste coffee or wine, it is still tasting, no mater what I do next.

So properly phrased... "This was not simply an exploratory bite"
But we all know that's what was meant, right?

Hmm... doesn't this also say that water camo doesn't work with sharks?

Well, of course camo works better when you're on the bottom. It's hard to "blend" with the sunlight (surface).

I'm not sure if you understand my description of the rod that Argo's DM uses to fend off a Tiger Shark in Cocos. It is about a meter long steel pipe (~ 2 cm diameter, so it's pretty solid). At the attacking end it has a pointy tip made out of a machine screw (I wish I took a picture of the tip) for jabbing on to the shark. The tennis ball mounted on the other end is for grabbing and shoving the rod.

I just edited my own post after seeing a video of Tiger shark close encounter in Cocos taken by a diver in August.

Tiger shark made a flyby above the diver's head. You can see its eyes rolled up to protect them from getting poked.

Tiger Shark2 - Video by Bernhard Klein_Moment(5).jpg

DM got his poker ready for use and called everyone to gather up.

Tiger Shark2 - Video by Bernhard Klein_Moment.jpg

Tiger Shark2 - Video by Bernhard Klein_Moment(8).jpg

Tiger Shark2 - Video by Bernhard Klein_Moment(9).jpg

This discussion made me look up an anecdote from Peter Benchley's nonfiction book Shark Trouble, in which he recounts an encounter with an OW in the Bahamas during a 1980s TV shoot. The trouble started when a crewman on the boat decided to go fishing while the divers were in the water; a hooked tuna shot between Benchley's legs, wrapped the leader around his ankle, and dragged him down. After getting loose, an OW took an interest in the wounded Benchley, who had a sawed-off broomstick for fending off sharks. The narrative makes me wonder about how effective a "poker" would be against an OW:

"I raised my broomstick and held it out like a sword, waving its blunt tip back and forth to impress upon the shark that I was a living being armed with the weapons and determination to defend myself.

"Longimanus was not impressed ..."

Personally, while having something to establish personal space with is all well and good, I have the feeling that it has to be combined with an offensive posture. Something holding position and lashing out with a pointy appendage is still on the defensive and potentially prey; something swimming right at the shark is another animal willing to confront it on even terms.

This discussion made me look up an anecdote from Peter Benchley's nonfiction book Shark Trouble, in which he recounts an encounter with an OW in the Bahamas during a 1980s TV shoot.

Someone borrowed my copy of this book a few years ago and I haven't seen it since... [Sigh]

Something holding position and lashing out with a pointy appendage is still on the defensive and potentially prey; something swimming right at the shark is another animal willing to confront it on even terms.

I'm thinking if a diver can do whatever a longimanus did in this video to scare living daylight out of a tiger shark, it would be sufficiently offensive:

Someone borrowed my copy of this book a few years ago and I haven't seen it since... [Sigh]

I'm thinking if a diver can do whatever a longimanus did in this video to scare living daylight out of a tiger shark, it would be sufficiently offensive:

I do find it interesting that right at the start of the clip, the OW approaches two divers in sequence who both aim their scooters straight at it. Its seeing the divers respond by orienting towards it head-on and not yielding, and circles away. It's definitely not just cruising around slowly, but its also not pressing home the approach like the shark seen in the OP clip.

It's hard to tell, but that tiger appears to out-mass the OW. Still, the latter shark is swimming aggressively and maneuvers to come in behind the tiger, which doesn't like the setup and bugs out. It reminds me of a story I heard regarding one of the unsuccessful attempts to keep a juvenile white shark in captivity; the ~5-ft white shark was placed in a tank with other species including an 8-ft bull shark, which was visibly intimidated by its new tankmate. Sometimes attitude makes up for size.

The TS looks uninterested, not scared.

I saw the tiger enter the scene mildly curious. The OWT was agitated from the get go, pectoral down and all.

I wonder though if the OWTs have ever bit a fullsuited diver or only those with exposed skin.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom