Sharing my experience with a digital camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mfalco

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I hope I'm not repeating info, because I'm new to the forum and haven't searched extensively, but ....

I have a Sony DSC-T1 digital camera which I really like as a point and shoot digital camera. (5 megapixel, 3x optical zoom, large LCD and tint size). They have stopped making this model, but they have several similar models.

I purchased the Marine Pack for it. It is a plastic housing good for up to 40 meters depth.

The camera was easy to operate under water (even for someone as inexperienced at diving as myself), and didn't loose any functionality. I didn't pay the extra $99 dolars for the red filter. Instead I use a "action" for photoshop that I downloaded. My avatar was run through the photoshop action.

If I come up with the extra money I was thinking of buying the light kit for it.

Does anybody use a sony camera and marine pack?
Is the red filter worth $99?
Is the light kit worth the extra size, awkwardness?

I'm only taking recreational pictures, obviously I don't need the quality of National Geographic.

Red filter is a nice option. It actually adds to the red channel at the source whereas adding it in PS creates more noise in the photo and therefore lessens the quality. Better to have it from the beginning. But really is only good for wide angle and fish portraits, for macro tis better to use strobe.

Not sure what you mean by "light kit". Is this a strobe? A flashlight?

I use my HID for "photo-lighting"...
If I were you I´d get a Dive-rite (or similar) HID wit a reflector...the 10w:
http://www.dive-rite.com/Products/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=LT6250H10

will most likely be better than the light-kit and be more useful to you as you can use it for all your other diving as well...used it shouldn´t be more expensive than the 350$ sony charges for the kit at their website...specially not if you add the 200$ they charge for arm-kit...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom