Share your “If I had to do it again, I would have got this dive computer" Stories

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lawtyger

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all, I’m somewhat on information overload at this point trying to decide what my first dive computer should be based on a budget of $400 to $600 (could stretch it if there was value in doing so). I’ve done a lot of reading on the forum, been watching the forum’s classifieds, looked to see what things sold for in the past, been watching various Ebay auctions, etc. All that has resulted in my desire to try to get the purchase right the first time as opposed to looking back and saying “I wish I would have done this instead.”

With that as a backdrop, I was hoping that some of you may be willing to share your “if I had to do it again, I would have got this in the beginning” stories and share your opinions as to which way you’d suggest I go.

I know the answer to what computer may be best for me depends on what type of diving I plan to do so I can tell you I was certified about 1 year ago and have probably down about 10 dives. I’m probably going to be only a recreational diver for some time diving mostly on cruise ship excursions, in the Florida springs occasionally, and occasionally from our boar (or maybe a charter) in the Gulf of Mexico out of Tarpon Springs.

I was initially looking at Suunto products like the Cobra and Cobra 3 and then added the Oceanic Pro Plus to my list. Both were air integrated which I thought was a good thing and figured it may be something 5 years down the road I would be glad I got. But then the more I read it seemed a lot of people went from console computers to wrist mounted computers and I got to thinking I didn’t want to be wishing I had gotten a wrist mounted computer 5 years down the road (or even a transmitter which I know pushes things way out of my budget). The second guessing continued with quick disconnect or no-quick disconnect if I did get a console, etc., then new or used, then from the manufacturer for full price or from Ebay where there may not be a warranty from the authorized dealer. Now I'm sort of at the state that I don't even know what to pull the trigger on.

So, I was hoping that some of you with more experience would be willing to share your opinion by putting yourself in the shoes of someone who will be doing recreational diving with $400 to $600 to spend on a dive computer. To keep within that budget, what do you get as your first dive computer and what options do you forego given that budget?

I made one mistake and one mistake only when I bought my dive computer.. I bought what I thought I needed rather than what I thought I WOULD be needing.
Putting a bit extra into the dive computer in the first place can be cheaper in the long run, as you might end up getting another one because youre missing features.
I havent bought a new one, because the features Im missing on the one I DID get isnt bothering me that much (freshwater settings mainly), but it would be nice to have it.

I wont tell you which specific one to get, but next time Ill look at one the minimum requirements would be nitrox capable, freshwater and altitude settings. Mine miss the freshwater and altitude settings.

If i could do it all again I would have bought a shearwater right away instead of 4 other dive computers and then finally a shearwater.

Tigerman, good advice. I guess I'm wondering if things like the quick disconnect or even a transmitter will be something I'll wish I had gotten (or at least kept open as options) with my first dive computer.

FWADIVER, I don't know anything about a shearwater. What do you like about it that your other 4 computers didnt' do? What were your other 4 computers? It sounds like your situation is exactly what I'm trying to avoid - going through multiple computers.

I wouldn't buy 2nd hand (if you're looking on Ebay).

Get something wrist mounted, not quick disconnect. Transmitters are a waste or money an SPG is sooo much cheaper.

Look at the entry level Suuntos. They have everything you'll need and if you get a model which also has Guage mode then your set for tech if you go that route. Only downside is that they are very conversative on repetitive dives, but hey never got bent using one so that's a good thing :D

Shearwaters, X1s, Vr3's etc are heavy tech computers. Don't worry about them.

Edit: I mean conservative. I'll leave it in as it made me laugh.

Skip the console, get simple brass SPG. Wrist mounted computer with nitrox & gauge mode feature is what I recommend. If budget allow, AI will be nice too. There are lots of option for non-AI in your price range. With some research, AI is possible too.

Are the reasons for discouraging 2nd hand purchases because items are often not as described, no warranty, etc.?

Also, what exactly is "tech" diving?

Skip the console, get simple brass SPG. Wrist mounted computer with nitrox & gauge mode feature is what I recommend. If budget allow, AI will be nice too. There are lots of option for non-AI in your price range. With some research, AI is possible too.

I think I would probably prefer a wrist mounted computer and understand that I'd need to have a SPG also then. I would probalby like air intergrated to but getting a transmitter from what I am seeing throws the price way above my budget. I haven't really seen an AI in my price range.

What about the compass? If the wrist mounted computer doesn't have a compass (which it appears only the more expensive ones do) what do people do about the compass?

wrist mount--- Air integrated with wireless transmitter.. big enough screen to be able to easily see...

Right now i have a vytec-- which is pretty good.. But its a bit more conservative then i like and id like a bigger screen... But LOVE the ai and wrist part of it.. IM looking at a uwatec luna right now.. As soon as they come out with a oled screen-- im in.. Or if any of the other oled screen computers come out with a wireless AI-- im in ..

What about the compass? If the wrist mounted computer doesn't have a compass (which it appears only the more expensive ones do) what do people do about the compass?

Buy a separate ,wrist mounted compass. It even works when the battery fails on your computer. :D

My suggestion for a first computer:

Nitrox compatible. Wrist mounted. NO buzzers,compasses,air integration,heart rate monitors etc etc.

I bought one like that many years ago (Aeris Atmos Pro) and still use it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom