Shanghai, China

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Azza

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Hey guys
My boss just told me we are going to Shanghai for a trade show at the end of May and was just wondering how many of you have been there and if you had any recommendations on what to do and see? I really only have two days to do anything as its a fleeting visit so unfortunately I am not going to get a chance to dive:(

Any information would be appreciated
Cheers

I've been.

Must sees:
1) The Bund (Wai Tan / Shanhai's Port) - lots of 1940s buildings, quite a bit of Shanhai's history there
2) Oriental Pearl Tower
3) Yu Yuan Garden
4) Jade Buddha Temple - you'll see the temple, good food and some shopping
5) Nanjing Road - Pedestrian district, lots of shops, people and shops! You get the idea!
6) Jin Mao Tower - if you can't get enough towers, this is the tallest in China. If you can somehow talk your boss into it, there's also a very costly restaurant at the top floor!

Jude, you are a legend.
Now where are the cheap shopping emporiums so I can buy a blackberry and bring KT home a prezzie? :D

I've been.
6) Jin Mao Tower - if you can't get enough towers, this is the tallest in China. If you can somehow talk your boss into it, there's also a very costly restaurant at the top floor!

even better, convince your boss to let you stay at the Grand Hyatt on the top of the Jin Mao Tower... :wink:Been awhile since I checked the shops in Shanghai but try Pacific Digital Plaza, in Xujiahui. Funny looking round building, chock full of electronics stores. I believe there is a subway station right below it of the same name (Xujiahui).Street shopping

Jude, you are a legend.
Now where are the cheap shopping emporiums so I can buy a blackberry and bring KT home a prezzie? :D
A blackberry? I'm not sure you really want a blackberry....I got my boyfriend one for his birthday, you kinda have to sign on a special plan (can't remember how much) to use blackberries, he was on prepay and vodafone takes 50c every half an hour for "updating blackberry's software" (ie. $24 a day - my maths is getting better) and you can't turn it off!! His phone is now sitting at the bottom of the drawer :shakehead: Maybe an iPhone instead...she'll still look cool!

pakman got it Pacific Digital Plaza - Phase 2 is the place to go for electronics (confirmed by a Shanghai colleague too)! She says there's like a subway / metro train that connects to it, pretty easy to get to.

PS (this is important!!)....Make sure you work on your bargaining skills! You never EVER pay for the price they ask for!!

And then of course there is Copymart where you can get anything cheap, I probably shy away from the electronics but the Rolex's are great. Still have a few "designer" shirts and stuff from my last trip to China.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom