Shameless self promotion...My first book!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They are treasures that is for sure! I'll bet even with 20 yrs already, diving there, you'd be happy with 20 more there. It's diver's paradise.

We've found six new nudibranchs on the barge in the past year. I used to think the barge was boring unless the sea lions were there. We've also found several octopus nests. I'm discovering more about diving Palos Verdes than previous years. It really is unique.

Congratulations, Phil. Hope it sells well.

What? You mean you can actually dive off the SoCal mainland and see or image things? Preposterous! Seriously, congrats again Phil.

Congratulations on researching writing and publishing your dive guide book.

In the very early 1970s I was a co-author along with Mr. Ron Merker (Dr.Bill's Basic (& only?)SCUBA Instructor) for the Orange County section of "Diving West." I am surprised and honored after all these many good and great years that a there is a modern diver who owned and used it as a dive guide

"Diving West" was unique in that it relied on experienced knowledgeable divers for their expertise and input on a specific area of the California coast- Ours was and still is Orange County; we included all the popular locations but there were some we did not disclose. Much to my surprise and I suspect also Ron's apparently remain unknown and have not been dove to this day. I am relived that we did not disclose some of the locations, most were just too deep and dangerous for today's casual recreational diver.That is except one-- "Miller's Reef" off Moss street. I made a mistake of chatting with Dale Schlecker and made an off hand comment about Millers Reef- He proceeded in publishing it's location in CDN and later his guide book. The reef became for a short while "The OC dive spot, the grand central station of Laguna Beach diving." .So a word of warning keep the secrets spots off the printed page.

In the first edition of Diving West encluded a very abreviated version of my popular article "Keep'en Kreepers." It was a step by step method of preserving marine life using common household items-now a lost art.

Diving West was unique in another way...It was the second dive guide published in the US. The first dive guide was way back in 1957; "Skin divers and spearfishermans guide to American waters" by the late Hilbert Schench and Henry Kendall.

Once again I congratulate you on your long overdue book,and wish you well in your future endeavors

SDM

Back
Top Bottom