Shallow Diving & Snorkeling in Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

not Key Largo, but I found this in Key West.

keywestscubadive.com/afternoon-dual-reef-dive.html

To clarify a bit: our motel is in Homestead, so Largo is really the best situated of the Keys for us. Any other dive suggestions really aren't what I'm looking for (further down on the Keys, Lauderdale, etc.)

Again, one of the participants is a snorkeler, and he's only 8 yrs old. So that limits how long a boat ride and and how deep we'll be going.

Thanks again,

Last edited:
You should consider Lauderdale by the Sea for great beach diving. The reefs are close to the beach and shallow.

I just got back from diving in the Keys. One of the days my dive buddy and I went out with Horizon Divers. We dove the Spiegel with them in the morning and then did reef dives in the afternoon. The afternoon trip contained both divers and snorkelers. The reefs we went to were only about 25 feet or so max. So, we dove and the snorkelers snorkeled around on the surface for both reefs. I think the boat ride was only about 20-30 mins. You may look into something such as that. Horizon was a good outfit to dive with. We also went with Conch Republic our other days, which is another great dive outfit. Although I'm not exactly sure if they do snorkel trips.

Hey SubMariner,
Since you are staying in Homestead, I recommend Key Largo for it's extensive shallow reef system. Most reefs here are 30ft or shallower so they are great for divers and snorkelers. I recommend in addition to the above mentioned Rainbow Reef, considering Horizon Divers or Ocean Divers. All have large stable vessels and more than one boat, so they have shallow reef diving/snorkeling trips everyday. They will require that an adult snorkel with the 8 yr old, so decide who will skip dive 1 and who will skip dive 2 to snorkel. (PS Family's do that here all the time). One of the often recommended by Scubaboarders is Conch Republic Divers, just a few miles south in Tavernier. Feel free to send Capt. Gary a PM with any questions.

Sounds like you've got a large group. If you are 6 or fewer, I would recommend a six pack boat like Key Largo Dive Center, smaller but all yours with a dive plan that meets all of your needs without feeling like you are imposing on other divers.

There are many good dive ops to choose from. I recommend calling up a few to chat and figure out which one best matches your expectations.
Feel free to contact me if you need assistance in planning or once you are here in Key Largo.

Elena

Hey SubMariner,

One thing that you'll get here are a lot of recommendations to various dive shops based on divers experiences. As you can tell from the responses there are a lot of good options for you and your family. Elena provided you with some good advice on ensuring the snorkeling safety of your 8 yr old.

As Elena indicated do call around to some of the shops and ask questions about their trips, boats, and dives. You should get a good feel from those conversations which shop would be good for you and your family. If I can answer any questions, even if you don't dive with us, please don't hesitate to contact me. It's your vacation and you should have a blast.

Good Diving,

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom