Shallow Diving & Snorkeling in Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SubMariner

C'est Moi
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hey, all!

We are planning on going down to Key Largo Wed June 20th and coming back Sat June 23rd.

Because we are taking down a grandson (snorkeling only) and a friend's son (newly certified Junior Diver) we need to either find some good beach dives, or a dive operator who will accommodate snorkelers & shallow scuba dives at the same time at a reasonable price.

Basically it would be one adult diving with the Jr diver and one adult snorkeling with the grandson, with the adults "switching out" if it is a two dive trip.

Keeping the above in mind, I would appreciate recommendations for good shore dive sites and/or dive operators.

Thanks!

I found four when I was doing research before going there. Harry Harrison Park on Key Largo and Founders Park on Plantation Key are the closest. Sombrero Beach on Vaca Key close to 7 mile bridge and Bahia Honda state park on the other side of 7 mile bridge.

You'll find plenty of ops that offer snorkel tours in Pennekamp park. Highly recommend it. Last time I did it was with a non diving girlfriend. I was part of a scuba group on the same boat.

I don't know if they still run scuba/ snorkel trips, but I'd sure look into it. Maybe google.

If you go off the shore at the places mentioned, don't forget your flag. It'll be a good swim to get to the good stuff, with lots of boaters. Besides, it's the law.

As I think about, give the non divers something to remember. Get in touch with Pennekamp park and find a snorkel trip.

pennekamp snorkeling tours - Google Search

Virtually ALL diving is off a boat in the keys. The spots mentioned above are snorkel sites--I have snorkeled Harry Harris and Bahia Honda and both are pretty good. Most boat dives are shallow, in the 25-30 ft range--so just let the dive op know what you need. The wrecks are mostly deep with current. One of the exceptions is the wreck of the Benwood in 20-50 ft., it is always full of fish and is one of my favorite dives...............

I've been looking for the same. My dad is coming down with a couple of my nephews so I'd like to get them out on a snorkel trip while I do some diving. I did find a place in Key West that offers it, but I have to call them. My one concern is what if you get there and 15 people are snorkeling and you're the only diver? do they send a DM in the water as your buddy?

Pretty much all dive operators in Key Largo run shallow reef trips that accommodate both divers and snorkelers. Off the top of my head, Ocean Divers, Horizon, Rainbow reef etc do that. Morning trips tend to be to deeper locations, afternoon - shallow (for some operators, others like Ocean Divers have two boats, with one going to shallow reef in the morning too).
So, take your pick.

There really isn't much good beach diving that I've found. NetDoc indicated that you can dive in the Pennekamp beach but the bottom of the lagoon is deep with muck and sediment.

There are a lot of great dive ops in Key Largo: I usually go out with Conch Republic, but have also been out with Silent World. However, given the somewhat unusual configuration of you group, this op might be the ticket for you. Their boats are 6 packs, so you can basically have a boat for just your group and maybe another snorkeler/diver or two. Just specify you want to go to sites that can be dove and snorkeled and they can accommodate you. Quiescence Diving Services , Inc., One of Key Largo's Finest Diving Operations Quiescence Diving Services , Inc., One of Key Largo's Finest Diving Operations

Do you need to go to the keys? Why not Lauderdale by the Sea or Hollywood Beach?

Thanks for the info.

I do Hollywood, but I can't do it here since my dad has a condo rented in Key west. He's driving down from Jersey and coming to my place Friday evening and then we're heading for Key West on Saturday morning. We're planning to stop for a snorkel trip in Largo on the way down and/or I'd like to do a dive/snorkel trip in Key West on that Monday.

To the op, thanks for the thread. I recently returned from my first trip to the keys and was thinking of planning a trip similar to yours for next year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom