Shallow dives in the Keys...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kayakguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Looking for nice easy and shallow dives in the Key. Particularly around Key Largo, though I am open to anywhere.

When I say shallow I mean 30-40 ft. It needs to be gentle and visually stimulating.

This dive would be for my mother and it has been awhile since she has dove. though she will be doing a refresher course I think some easy ocean dives are in order afterwords.

Also are most dives from boats or are there shore divw

Thanks in advance.
-Bryan

30 - 40 ft. covers most of the reef dives around Key Largo. Most of the wrecks are in deeper water (i.e. 100 - 150 ft.). Just find a trip doing 2 reef dives.

(Edited by Kam) Looking for nice easy and shallow dives around Key Largo.
30-40 ft. It needs to be gentle and visually stimulating.
Are most dives from boats or is there shore diving? -Bryan

Snapper Ledge (<20'), French Reef (15-40') and the Benwood wreck (<40').
Other repliers may mention some great spots further southwest off of Tavernier.
BTW, care to say who's giving the refresher?

Almost all of the diving in and about Key Largo is shallow. Think 20-30' for most of your dive, with some reefs stretching down to the 40-55' range. When I was a young guy, I dismissed the region as 'unworthy' because of the shallow nature of the diving, but its accessibility for those of us in North America make it an easy, fun diving destination.

I'll put in a plug for the Silent World dive op. They certified my two teenaged kids last summer. Friendly, smaller than many of the companies 'on the strip' and good value.

Of course all of the diving in the Key Largo area isn't for beginners. It is home to the Spiegel Grove, which is one of the largest divable wrecks on the planet. And I love the Duane, a 340' coast guard cutter that sits beautifully upright in 130' of water off the Elbow Reef.

The refresher will most likely come from Smokey mountain Divers in Kingsport, TN. But I figured her first real open water dives would be more enjoyable in a little warmer water. Considering it is about 25 degrees right now, I have to admit to having fantasies of warmer climes myself!

You can't go wrong if you use Conch Republic. They have 3 boats now and can provide reef dives as needed.

Almost all of the diving in and about Key Largo is shallow.

That's misleading. All of the shallow reefs you've dived around Key Largo have deeper areas. The spots on the reefs where charter boats usually take divers are shallow, but there's lots more just a little farther off shore. In most cases, the deeper reefs are in better condition. Molasses Deep is beautiful!

As Walter noted even heavily dived sites like Mo' have very nice deeper sections to the Southeast. Most frequently done as an easy drift, there are huge sponges and other marine life there quite different from the shallow areas just a couple of hundred yards away.

You just need to find a small boat operator and and experience group to go.

That's misleading. All of the shallow reefs you've dived around Key Largo have deeper areas. The spots on the reefs where charter boats usually take divers are shallow, but there's lots more just a little farther off shore. In most cases, the deeper reefs are in better condition. Molasses Deep is beautiful!

Molasses Reef,
My call, but call the charter a its a second dive,lots of life 20 FSW (on the average) a basic saftey stop-any one mention
Welcome to John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park - Key Largo, Florida Keys
State park they run some easy dives,
have fun and maybe get her in the pool prior to your trip to easy the stress of the pre dive jitters and a quick refresher.
JMO
Brad

If the minnows are there, Minnow Cave is an awesome dive. Until some idiot decides he want to swim in....

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom