shale island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We have Ocean Kayak Prowler 15s (old style). The new ones are lightly longer, wider, and heavier. I would probably go with the Prowler 13 now since they are a little smaller (easier to handle out of the water). The guy who runs Adventure Sports swears by smaller kayaks (11') since they are lighter and easier to get over dunes, rocks, and on cars but they don't paddle as nice.
Ben

Thanks Ben, and Guy for your detailed responses and pointers! I checked out the MBK site and saw one: ocean kayak malibu XL that is a tandem but can be converted to solo by moving a seat to an intermediate position.

I am looking forward to the Kayak diving clinic by ZKY and Peter to try it out. Sounds like some work but also adds to where you dive...especially in Monterey where the boat dive sites are not that far anyways.

Thanks,
Bob

I have seen the double kayaks and few if any seem to have a tank well. They may paddle great with two people on board, but they do not paddle as well with only one person on board. Where do you put your tank and other gear? Everything must be strapped down or stowed in a hatch. I use a tag line and two straps for my BC. Will it work YES, it is ideal no.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-kayak-divers/206447-kayak.html

Below is the style of kayak best suited to scuba. The rear bungee is easily replaced with straps that have fastex buckles on them. As seen over the bow hatch.

Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

kayak
kayak

It does appear you can still get the Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro TW that is touted as one of the best diving kayaks out there. I have a really beat up and banged up one that has turned pink and it still works great.
Scupper Pro TW™ - Touring Style Sit-on-top Kayak - Ocean Kayak
Pay Shipping and you still might come out ahead.
Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro TW

Also do a search on this board for "kayak" and more than a few threads will come up.

I have seen the double kayaks and few if any seem to have a tank well. They may paddle great with two people on board, but they do not paddle as well with only one person on board. Where do you put your tank and other gear? Everything must be strapped down or stowed in a hatch. I use a tag line and two straps for my BC. Will it work YES, it is ideal no

Thanks Peter. Just by looking at te pictures for malibu 2 xl, it looked like if the seat was moved to the middle, the rear seat cavity could be used as a tank well with straps. Of course all hypothetical. I will need to try some kayak diving in the water to get a better appreciation of what matters.

I emailed Bruce at Aquarius to confirm what he has available. Here is his response.

"I have two Kayaks here. One is a Prowler 13, the other is Scrambler XT and I would guess it is about 12'. The Scrambler has been modified to have real straps to hold your dive gear in, but the Prowler still has bungee cords. It really needs to be modified to have heavy duty straps. Both come with seat and paddle, and I charge $45 for the day to rent one."

Now get those straps on there Bruce! If you need to borrow a pop rivet gun let me know, and I can bring one down next weekend. For everyone interested, you can buy the straps from most any kayak specialty store. If you are buying a kayak new they should be willing to take care of that kind of stuff for free.

So here is an opportunity to try a kayak before you buy one at what I would consider a fair price.

Edit: For anyone looking for a GPS the Garmin Colorado is on sale at West Marine. Often you can stack coupons and sales together. 10% off orders $100; use code AFFWEST

Log this website and use it often. I can not begin to tell you have much I have saved over the years using internet coupons. http://www.retailmenot.com/

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom