Shadow Divers: John Chatterton's Interview with ScubaBoard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The first diver to see the wreck was Chuck Wine. He dived on the wreck from Bill Nagle's Seeker.

Huh? So Nagle found the wreck, brought divers to it, forgot about it, and then found it again for the second time when a fisherman gave him coordinates 3 years later?

I want whatever it is that Gentile is smoking. Then again, maybe not.

I got that email also..... Gary's been trying to "tease us" with this investigation for a year now....

yet he never has produced any of this "new evidence".

Exactly....the last email (like 3-4 months ago) said that he would tell us in the NEXT email....

I can only imagine...I just think he's obsessed with JC and RK's mainstream popularity, and his lack of....I think he's confusing his science fiction writing with his wreck diving writing!

Last edited:
Ed,

Sorry I have not been here in a while, but if the Doc does not send me an email I assume that this thread is dead?? Regardless, my apologies. I can also say that I have been a little busy in the Dominican Republic lately, but everybody is busy??

When it comes to TV, they target the mainstream audience. That means less diving and more topside from a network standpoint. For the producers, topside is cheaper than underwater. The rule of thumb for hardhat divers always was, if you can do it topside, then do it topside. The same applies here.

Richie is methodical and compulsive. If he does not completely understand something, like computers or rebreathers, then he sticks with what he knows?? This is one of the reasons he is such a capable diver, and why he has been so successful. He is always rock solid on his gear, he is anal with maintenance, and if something is wrong he fixes it immediately. At the same time, he would rather have someone else figure it out, dive the prototype, and make it work. When it works, and he understands it, he is good. Not a bad dive philosophy, and that is why he is also a very good rebreather instructor?? I look at things a little differently, and that is probably why we have done well together working as a team.

No one is more interested in seeing a Shadow Divers movie than Richie and me?? Maybe Rob? Rob just finished the most recent screenplay and Fox likes it?? We will see??

I used Force Fins going back to my hardhat days in the 80's. I did not use fins often, but when I did I used the FF because you could stand and walk in them, they were durable, they were comfortable with long hours in the water, and they had good kick which is important on a hose. I did not start using FF wreck diving until they came up with the bungee strap. If the weather is crappy, I want to be able to get my fins off in a hurry on the ladder and the nylon strap did not do it for me. Now, I love the bungee. I was really more of a Jetfin, or OMS fin guy (black rubber) but I also did some diving with plastic blades but never really liked tham all that much other than traveling with light weight fins to address luggage weight restrictions, or using them to get some color for the camera??

Nice pics Bobby, but I want blue water??

Cheers

JC

Hello John C,

Loved SD and DSD. I am an avid history buff. BUT, I never got enough of diving in the shows. Was there a reason diving wasn't covered a little more other than it was the History Chanel? Would love to see more info on your dive tecniqes, equipment etc. Loved the show from england area when Richy finally went to a computer. Would have liked to see why he was slow in switching over. He was also slow in going to rebreathers. Still haven't seen a show that REALLY covers diving.
I am really pumped to see SD movie come out:D
What made you change from the mares fins to the Force fin? What modle of FF fin do you like and why?

Another FANTASTIC book is:

Descent into Darkness Pearl Harbor, 1941 (The True Story of a Navy Diver) By Edward Raymer

Couldn't put this one down.

THX Ed

Ed,

Sorry I have not been here in a while, but if the Doc does not send me an email I assume that this thread is dead??

JC,

if you want to know when this (or any other thread) is updated, click on "THREAD TOOLS" right above the top post on this page. (towards the right side).

Then click on "Subscribe to this Thread".

Then the next page will come up with the type notification. Choose "Instant Notification via email" or "Daily Updates via email". The only difference in those two options is that "Instant" will email you about every time someone posts in the thread and Daily will only email you suppodely once a day. It's not foolproof as you won't get every email every time the selected event chosen is tagged, but it's pretty good about it....

just an option.

-Mike

I think he was using Force Fins in the second Dive Portal DVD while swimming with the dolphin. Could be wrong...

Hopefully that blue water will be here in September and November JC...Look forward to seeing ya then....

I just finished reading SD read it in two days and I hate to read, I could not put it down. I am newer to diving and I found the story and the mystery absolutely fascinating.
I do find it amazing that after somebody risks everything including family and life, that somebody else feels the need to come in and try to steal their accomplishment. I think that the way these guys, John, Ritchie etc went about diving this wreck, with respect to the fallen crew members and their families, was amazing, why try to degrade it with lies.
John I am sure you have heard it a hundred times but I stand in awe in the accomplishments and dangers you guys took head on in this dive.

Brian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom