Shadow Divers: John Chatterton's Interview with ScubaBoard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Received this since I've ordered a few books from GG:

GROUNDBREAKING NEWS!! Recently uncovered evidence has now established
that the U-869 was discovered and dived three years prior to the events that were embellished and exaggerated in "Shadow Divers." Stayed tuned, and read all about it in a future newsletter.

:popcorn:

Received this since I've ordered a few books from GG:

GROUNDBREAKING NEWS!! Recently uncovered evidence has now established
that the U-869 was discovered and dived three years prior to the events that were embellished and exaggerated in "Shadow Divers." Stayed tuned, and read all about it in a future newsletter.

:popcorn:

I got that email also.... seems like he's digging for more dirt to sling.

If he really has new evidence, why wait until the "next newsletter" to prove it? something smells like a fish....

Just discovered this thread and decided to read it. What a great read, have had a great time (did it in one sitting).

I read SD quite a while back and couldn't put it down, it is now loaned out along with my copy of Hitler's Lost Sub.

I haven't had the pleasure to meet John yet. My wife and I met Richie in March when we were on a boat where he was teaching an advanced wreck class. When I realized who he was I took his picture and then felt bad about intruding. I talked to him to apologize and he was such a great person. His response was "I'm flattered" (does this sound like John too?). We had a nice conversation later and also met his wife who was also very nice.

I hope that at some time the two of them (John and Richie) come out to the west coast to the Long Beach Scuba Show. I would love to see the two of them together.

As far as the comments about the diver diving without a computer, depth gauge, timer a few pages back, been there, done that. It was over 41 years ago when I was originally certified in a college class. Things were sure different back then. Now after not diving for about 38 years I'm back diving and loving it.

Best to all, especially John and Richie and their wives.

Mike

I guess the question is; Define "discovered" Bill Nagle got the hang numbers off of a fisherman, I'm sure that he wasn't the first person to know where it was, and if there were a few divers that weren't in the "loop" they just saw a sunken sub, and apprently didn't do anything in regards to letting anyone know that we've found a sub and it's the ______!

Not sure of the drama or the obsession...

I guess the question is; Define "discovered" Bill Nagle got the hang numbers off of a fisherman, I'm sure that he wasn't the first person to know where it was, and if there were a few divers that weren't in the "loop" they just saw a sunken sub, and apprently didn't do anything in regards to letting anyone know that we've found a sub and it's the ______!

Not sure of the drama or the obsession...

I'm sure many fisherman have noticed the 'obstruction' on their sonar, or found it with a fishing net. but there is lots of garbage dropped in the sea. It could have been anything. Most commercial fishermen don't care about that, but they do care about not catching their nets. So in reality, all they found was a 'net snag'

seeing how it was so far offshore and so deep, I doubt many, if any, recreational divers, would have happened to dive upon it, even if only to identify it as 'a sub' and not by hull number.

but it's possible. but doubtfull and even more doubtfull that it would have been kept quiet.

mike s:
seeing how it was so far offshore and so deep, I doubt many, if any, recreational divers, would have happened to dive upon it, even if only to identify it as 'a sub' and not by hull number.

Would agree...They even mentioned in SD that they had no idea if it was a garbage barge or what they would find when they got there. I doubt anyone would have kept it quiet. There wouldn't have been a solo diver and someone would have said something...Just doesn't sound logical.

Would agree...They even mentioned in SD that they had no idea if it was a garbage barge or what they would find when they got there. I doubt anyone would have kept it quiet. There wouldn't have been a solo diver and someone would have said something...Just doesn't sound logical.

Exactly...who finds a sunken sub at that kind of depth and ignores it???

I guess we'll have to wait and see what he emails.....maybe SDE book II?

Buoyant1:
I guess we'll have to wait and see what he emails.....maybe SDE book II?

Buoyant...So this came from the GG camp?...Ok...I'm slow:)

Buoyant...So this came from the GG camp?...Ok...I'm slow:)

yeah...got a mass email from him with some other info on it, and the blurb I quoted was at the bottom. Thought it was interesting.

Ha, Ha...I can see it now...Next thing that comes out is Gary saying he knows it was dived 3 years earlier because he was the one who dived it.

It is kind of sad to a degree. Gary Gentile has done fantastic things...things I will never come close to doing. He has done so much research and as a result has given alot. So why can't he stand on his own accomplishments. There are plenty of them. He doesn't need to slam John and Richie for their's. There is plenty to go around. I don't know why he cannot simply give credit where credit is due and feel good about the vast number of things he has done himself...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom