Shadow Divers: John Chatterton's Interview with ScubaBoard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buoyant1:
Did they do one on that? I never saw that one....

Yeah, They did a DSD on 352...It is also JC's favorite episode because his favorite place to be is in Morehead City:D...
...Nothing better than NC diving and a big plate of Smithfield's Barbeque and fried chicken after the dive...Aye John...Give a raise of the hand and say Hallelujah! Hallelujah brother....I think I will have another plate of barbeque...and throw in a couple more pieces of that there fried yard bird...

John has been around George Purifoy for so long that he is starting to sound like a hoi tider...The real reason they didn't do anymore DSD episodes, for those of you who don't know, is because John was beginning to talk in too much Down East brogue and no one could understand what he was saying anymore....

Ate there this weekend John....Combo plate, hush puppies and a huge glass of ice tea...Hallelujah!!!!

ncd1.jpg

100_2380.jpg

Yeah, They did a DSD on 352...It is also JC's favorite episode because his favorite place to be is in Morehead City:D...
...Nothing better than NC diving and a big plate of Smithfield's Barbeque and fried chicken after the dive...Aye John...Give a raise of the hand and say Hallelujah! Hallelujah brother....I think I will have another plate of barbeque...and throw in a couple more pieces of that there fried yard bird...

John has been around George Purifoy for so long that he is starting to sound like a hoi tider...The real reason they didn't do anymore DSD episodes, for those of you who don't know, is because John was beginning to talk in too much Down East brogue and no one could understand what he was saying anymore....

Ate there this weekend John....Combo plate, hush puppies and a huge glass of ice tea...Hallelujah!!!!

ncd1.jpg

100_2380.jpg

Stop! you're making me hungry and I haven't gone to dinner yet! :rofl3: I gotta see that episode! (and dive that, I'll make it down one of these days) Btw...are you coming up to BTS in Joisey with the crew from Discovery? I met a few guys from there last year (and the pen I grabbed just ran out of ink!)

Buoyant...I'm going to be doing some shark's teeth hunting off Wilmington this weekend and hopefully a couple of other dives planned this month. Plus I have a new DUI I want to get some dives in before the water gets too warm. I have classes scheduled also, so I know I won't make it to BTS. I'm not sure if anyone else is going. They don't ever tell me anything, but PM me your address and I will send you a new pen:)

I thoroughly enjoyed both The Last Dive and Shadow Divers. If I remember right though, both books had somewhat different stories when it came to the deaths of the Rouses. I think one book had the son's death on the boat and the other had the son dying after that. Not sure because it's been a while since I read them both but it kinda bothered me that the stories were different.

If you go back and reread both accounts, they both state the father died on the boat and the son died at the hospital. The Last Dive contains more detail surrounding the son's treatment and passing than Shadow Divers does as the nature of Shadow Divers is not about the deaths on the wreck but about the quest to identify it. Since The Last Dive is specifically about what happened to the Rouse's it is naturally going to contain more facts and details surrounding their fatal dive but they do not contradict each other.

**Update**
Thank you to Mike_S for providing us with a link to John's account of the discrepancies.

I completely understand why one book is more detailed than the other, of course their deaths aren't the main focus in Shadow Divers. I could have sworn the location that one of them died was inaccurate though but again, it's been a while. I guess it's time to read the books again. :)

Thanks, that's what I was talking about. Neat to know Chatterton's on here. :)

Several years back I was on the ferry from Cozemel to Cancun, returning from a dive, and my friend and I enjoyed a long chat with an interesting fellow with some very unusual gear (considering the typical Mexican dive), who talked of diving the Doria, a German sub off of NJ, something called Trimix gas diving, and all kinds of other great stories that I enjoyed, but wrote off as just that, great stories by a very good story teller. Three years ago I read Shadow Divers, and only then did I realize that this really entertaining gentleman was a true legend! I am sorry, John, but thanks for a truly memorable 45 minutes!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom