Shadow Divers – Exposed U 869

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well everyone I must say I have followed this topic with much interest, I myself have read "Shadow Divers" and very thouroughly enjoyed the book. Now there is a new book out that for what ever reason what to throw stones or discredit the Shadow Divers book. I have found it very interesting to watch both sides defend there positions and give there thoughts so I figured why not add my thoughts as well. I may not be a wreck diving expert do persume to be a expert on sunken U-boats but one thing I got out of the "Shadow Divers" book was that the Shadow Divers went to great lengths to first discover this U-boat and then they went to even greater links to uncover the details that would allow them to identify the mystery U-boat. So from that point alone the book is a true story and no one else can take the credit for what they did. Now as for the "theroy" of how the boat came to lay where it was it is simply that a THEROY. In my opinion the Shadow Divers went to great links to research all the available possibilities of what might have happened and then they used what they felt was the most probable. I have done lots of research on numerous things myself and I have found that you must sometimes; when dealing with THEORIES, take into consideration everything you have found and try to extrapilate the best possible solution. I see no attempt here to DUPE anybody.

With that in mind I say to you the other book "Shadow Divers- Exposed" in my opinion is simply a ploy for someone to make a profit off of someone else's good fortune. It is for that reason I will not buy the book nor will I support any effort to boost sales of the book. It may be a very good read but I feel that when someone tries to make a profit by riding on the coat tales of some one else's hard work that shows very poor character and moral convictions; so I want no part in it.

In closing I say to you I merely am stating my opinion and I do not expect everyone to agree but it appears everyone has chimed in on the subject so I felt I had watched from the sidelines long enough. To the guys of Shadow Divers I say congratulations and a job well done, my hat is off to you. And thanks for sharing your experience with me.

I find Gentile's gossipy, vindictive style amusing. It's apparent from his Lusitania Controversies Books 1 and 2, there is a soap opera going on within the NE wreck diving community. Someone is always conspiring against Gary. :D

atedeschi:
I am new here but I have to say you should give the book a shot and read it. I believe it is a very good book. I spoke to Gary this past month on the phone one day when he called the dive shop I work at (Atlantic Divers). We talked about this book and his main purpose for writting Shadow Divers Exposed was to make sure what Shadow Divers has as facts do not go down in histroy as the facts because they are false. I have read post saying he is trying to make money or get fame from this book and attack on SD, but he is strictly about facts and history. Plus he could have had his own show years ago. In the book he gives alot of credit to people the Chatterton and Kholer did not give any to, with the research of the U-869 and finding of it. In my opionn I think you should give the book a shoot, if nothing else there is alot of cool info and stories about different U-boats in the appendix.

Check out the website for Atlantic Divers www.njwreckdivers.com
In the picture section there are some pics of Kohler trying his rebreather on one of our early trips of the season.

This book is Robert Kurson's book, not Chatterton and Kohler's. People seem to forget who wrote Shadow Divers and therefore, who's responsible for the content. How do you know Kurson didn't edit out the contributions of others to focus the story?

All I hear from Gentile supporters is that he simply wants to set the record straight. Well, he could give his version of the truth without the Jerry Springer - like attacks.

To me this is more about sour grapes.

Someone posted after me saying about they can't take away the credit of the people in Shadow Divers for their find of the U-869, but they didn't find it they were just invited on the trip to check out these hang numbers. Also it does not give credit to alot of others who helped in the research of this U-boat. My second note is Kurson wrote the book but John and Richie helped and they probably had a chance to read it and edit it. The book is a good book dont get me wrong but it is more a story then the actual truth. But like Gary said in his opening some people will only beleive shadow divers because it came out first. One quick example about truth is the death of Rouses. In the book it said, Chatterton performed CPR for 2 hours waiting for the helio and said the father was already dead. I talk to Tom Packer and Steve Gatto and he was on the ambu-bag, while one of them did chest compressions.

you know, about the only thing preventing me from moving to NYC right now is the realization that i'd be dropped in the middle of the NE wreck diving community...

lamont:
you know, about the only thing preventing me from moving to NYC right now is the realization that i'd be dropped in the middle of the NE wreck diving community...

The south had the Hatfield's and the McCoy's. Do you think this is the 2006 version of the Seeker v. the Wahoo?

lamont:
tell me about it...
around here friends will stick it too ya just for fun

Diesel298:
around here friends will stick it too ya just for fun

this sounds so familiar...

:33:

dang ... i was so close to a revelation just then :eyebrow:

TheRedHead:
Someone is always conspiring against Gary. :D

lol ... i can't get over people who think i spend MY WHOLE DAY plotting against
them and scheming ways to mess them up ... it's like, dude... get a life...

you know what the most terrifying thing about others is? how indifferent they
truly are to us and our lives

H2Andy:
this sounds so familiar...

:33:

dang ... i was so close to a revelation just then :eyebrow:

it seems the more popular a regon is with diving
ie
the northeast or florida..
the more people wanna be bid dog hot shots,
and the best way to make themselves look good..
is make others look worse than you.

welcome to the dive industry

Jeez what a Charlie Foxtrot....

Shadow Divers was a book that singlehandedly turned many people on to the idea of diving -- it was the book that got me interested in pursuing wreck diving in the future.

I read it for what it was: a great nonfiction story with some holes "filled in". Like any modern literary work, it isn't perfect, but it's a fascinating read that at least attempts to stick to the truth.

This whole debacle reeks of one diver's bitterness at being left out of the limelight.... If it was an attempt to correct the facts, it wouldn't have personal written all over it.

YMMV

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom