Shadow Divers – Exposed U 869

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dean810:
The more I read this book, the more it comes across to me as a vicious diatribe. What good points he might present are overwhelmed by the relentless attacks he throws on not just on "Shadow Divers" or "Deep Sea Detectives", but on other works such as "The Last Dive" and the PBS documentary "Hitler's Lost Sub". Anyone with the stain of Chatterton and Kohler upon them is a target.

ack.. this confirms my worst fears

Dean810:
The one revelation that caused for me the most potential problem was the tag recovery event as depicted by Gentile. This is the event where Chatterton removed his single tank and pushed it ahead of him to enter the electric motor room to find the parts box with the famous U-869 tag on it. Apparently, someone entered the room BEFORE Chatterton, following a more direct and easier route, one that didn't require him to remove his DOUBLES! The diver apparently couldn't, or didn't make any attempt to find the parts box, but left behind a strobe. Gentile implies, but does not say outright, that Chatterton chose his route simply because it looked more dramatic on camera. If that were the case, then that does not speak well for Chatterton. However, he does not say whether Chatterton was aware of any other route, nor whether the other diver knew in advance that route existed or just happened upon it while exploring, nor does he explain why the other diver did not try to locate the tag himself. Whatever the case, Gentile poo-poos the entire incident anyway, stating that wreck divers knew "for years" the true identity of the sub, and that the tag retrival was "anti-climatic"
I just got off the phone with Greg Mossfedlt who did the camera work for Hitlers lost sub and was filming this dive.

They (the Chatterton dive team) were not aware of another way in. To them, it was the only way in.

They did hear the rumour after the dive that Will (something or other...already forgot the name) got into the room with doubles.

H2Andy:
ack.. this confirms my worst fears

Mine, too. I'll wait for a cheap, used copy in paperback, but I don't want to give the author any more money than I have to. This is beyond sour grapes.

Dean810:
The one revelation that caused for me the most potential problem was the tag recovery event as depicted by Gentile. This is the event where Chatterton removed his single tank and pushed it ahead of him to enter the electric motor room to find the parts box with the famous U-869 tag on it. Apparently, someone entered the room BEFORE Chatterton, following a more direct and easier route, one that didn't require him to remove his DOUBLES! The diver apparently couldn't, or didn't make any attempt to find the parts box, but left behind a strobe. Gentile implies, but does not say outright, that Chatterton chose his route simply because it looked more dramatic on camera. If that were the case, then that does not speak well for Chatterton. However, he does not say whether Chatterton was aware of any other route, nor whether the other diver knew in advance that route existed or just happened upon it while exploring, nor does he explain why the other diver did not try to locate the tag himself. Whatever the case, Gentile poo-poos the entire incident anyway, stating that wreck divers knew "for years" the true identity of the sub, and that the tag retrival was "anti-climatic"

Interesting that this conflicts with his own words in New Jersey Wreck - Central

Does anyone know who this other diver was?Could it have been Chrissy Rouse before his accident?Just curious.

joe rock:
Interesting that this conflicts with his own words in New Jersey Wreck - Central

It sounds like an enterprising person could quickly publish a "Shadow Divers Exposed: Exposed" book just using contradictions in Gentile's earlier work with this book.

I am new here but I have to say you should give the book a shot and read it. I believe it is a very good book. I spoke to Gary this past month on the phone one day when he called the dive shop I work at (Atlantic Divers). We talked about this book and his main purpose for writting Shadow Divers Exposed was to make sure what Shadow Divers has as facts do not go down in histroy as the facts because they are false. I have read post saying he is trying to make money or get fame from this book and attack on SD, but he is strictly about facts and history. Plus he could have had his own show years ago. In the book he gives alot of credit to people the Chatterton and Kholer did not give any to, with the research of the U-869 and finding of it. In my opionn I think you should give the book a shoot, if nothing else there is alot of cool info and stories about different U-boats in the appendix.

Check out the website for Atlantic Divers www.njwreckdivers.com
In the picture section there are some pics of Kohler trying his rebreather on one of our early trips of the season.

I'm shocked - shocked, I say - to see discord and strife between veteran East Coast wreck divers like this. Will their bladders ever run dry? I may end up reading Gentiles latest tome but I'm more interested in the musical chairs that's going on with the wreck names off the coast of North Carolina than I am in cockfights in New Jersey. Life is too short.

Back
Top Bottom