SF2 or REvo rebreathers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It wasn't just flood tolerance. But that was a big part of my switch. The biggest thing was, all these FMCL guys were making 6+ hour dives and not fatigued at all, and I was exhausted. I didn't know the WoB was having such an effect on my stamina until I started doing those same dives in better breathing machines.

If you're not a cave diver or deep diver, and trim isn't important... The rEvo is probably fine. :) But then so is the Explorer :) haha.

I'm learning that. My wife will have the toughest finding the right unit. Obviously there's the usual questions of what you need it for and what features are important to you, a confounding issue is she's tiny (she's a bit smaller than lauren kieren, but similar in build). So fmcl aren't an option for her, bmcl may be fine, but on the sf2 I wonder if the can may be too long for her.

There's a "mini-me" can option available for the SF2 for people of shorter stature. It consists of a slightly shorter tube for the bellows. Same scrubber.

There's a "mini-me" can option available for the SF2 for people of shorter stature. It consists of a slightly shorter tube for the bellows. Same scrubber.

Oh really? I haven't seen that anywhere. Does it still have the same bellows volume? I'm trying to picture where the extra length is taken from.

Mine flooded when the nut on the opv failed inside the counterlung 2000 feet back in a cave. Had nothing to do with an o-ring.
I agree the OPV is not the best design and I had a lot of trouble with mine until I redesigned it with different materials and a different spring

I quit the revo long before becoming an instructor.
I would quit the rEvo if I had the $$$ for an SF2, but only because I can not purchase counterlungs for it.

Anyone who says the Revo breathes like every other rebreather is either a filthy liar, never dove another rebreather, or delusional.
Very true. It breathes better than some and worse than some. trim and postion in water makes a big difference with any unit. Very difficult for an apples to apples comparison without the use of a machine.

Can you scooter straight down to 200' and have the adv keep the loop perfect and ppo2 perfect on a revo? You can on an Optima.
I am not sure about 200', but the ADV will keep the loop volume exactly where I want it (after a lot of trial and error to get it set correctly) and the SW will keep the PO2 good at the same time going balls to the wall to 400'. As much as I hate to say it, I still think the hammerhead crap when set in Juergenson mode keeps the most solid SP of any controller I have used.

You think build quality is good? Maybe look at a liberty where every piece is CNC machined. It's put together looking like a Ferrari instead of a Yugo.
I work with metal every damn day and the case of the rEvo is definitely not the junk that you want to picture it as.

Some of the Revo is innovative, like dual scrubbers and RMS. But that innovation isn't necessary.
Is any innovation really necessary? Why not just trash all the wings and go back to Clorox bottles? I do agree that simple is usually the best and safest option though.

Oh really? I haven't seen that anywhere. Does it still have the same bellows volume? I'm trying to picture where the extra length is taken from.

Yeah, Tom showed it to me at DEMA. The bellows are the same, but you can't expand them fully with the mini-me can, so there's a slightly smaller lung capacity.

Yeah, Tom showed it to me at DEMA. The bellows are the same, but you can't expand them fully with the mini-me can, so there's a slightly smaller lung capacity.

Gotcha. I guess that doesnt really matter since she's got the lung capacity of a squirrel and barely breathes to beging with.

Does that mean it's an entirely different lower section with the sta rails and all that, not really an upgrade? I assume if a smoking deal on a used unit comes up, adding the smaller can would likely be cost prohibitive and we're better off buying new for her from the start.

I don't know, that's a James question.

Figured that wasn't in your wheelhouse. If I see one come up I'll give him a shout. They come up so uncommonly in good shape that I suspect I'll be contacting him for new anyway when the time comes.

I'll let you know if we want to come do a try dive one day and maybe we can coordinate it with a day you'll already be bringing your units out.

Figured that wasn't in your wheelhouse. If I see one come up I'll give him a shout. They come up so uncommonly in good shape that I suspect I'll be contacting him for new anyway when the time comes.

I'll let you know if we want to come do a try dive one day and maybe we can coordinate it with a day you'll already be bringing your units out.

I think James has like, 4 BM units and a couple three SM units. Do it sooner rather than later. That way you can buy one sooner rather than later and start enjoying it ASAP.

I think James has like, 4 BM units and a couple three SM units. Do it sooner rather than later. That way you can buy one sooner rather than later and start enjoying it ASAP.

I've started leaning in a slightly different direction and highly considering a fathom.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom