Several Small Meals?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gidds

Contributor
Reaction score
Witness Protection Program (hiding from the MOFia)
Ok I have food on the brain tonight and I'm always full of questions so here goes:

I keep reading that eating several (4-6?) small meals a day is better than three big ones. Ok fine. I'd like to try this but nowhere does it say HOW to go about transitioning to the smaller and more frequent meals style.

I think this would be useful for me since I often feel very drained in the afternoon or early evening but I can't nap because I am supposed to be paying attention in class and I have sleep problems so napping is a no-no.

How do I make this switch and what are some meal ideas since we are breaking from the norm?

PS. I really like fruit and it is portable so I want that to be a factor in my switch.

www.bodyforlife.com (look at the "Food and Recipes" section) has some info regarding this topic. Basic guidelines are eating a well balanced meal (carbs/fats/proteins), just smaller portions. Some of my favorite things for my "in-between" meals are a piece of fruit with an ounce or two of mozzarella cheese or something like a clif bar. Plain yogurt mixed with some cottage cheese and dried fruit makes another good meal. For me, it's helped maintain energy all day long. I also don't feel like napping in the afternoon anymore because I'm not eating a big lunch and having a sugar crash a few hours later.

-Frank

I just want to second the Body-For-Life idea. I did the program a year ago and lost 30 pounds. It wasn't just the food though... the exercise played a big part in the success.

I did Body-For-Life and lost 30 pounds too! And exercise was key as m7 said. Unfortunately, I started a really stressful job and gained 20 back, but I'm on my way back down again.

I think of five meals a day really as three meals and two snacks. I take a bag of carrots or yogurt or some cottage cheese to work and try to snack about the same time every day. Keeps the size of the three meals down. I also regulate carb intake somewhat. I try to eat more complex carbs in the morning - like oatmeal or grape Nuts. Then I have a turkey sandwich for lunch. Then for dinner I will eat mostly protein (fish or chicken). The only carbs I will have for dinner are vegetables or salad. The key is to eat what you need so you are not too hungry and have energy, but prevent STORAGE. At one point I was eating six meals a day, 300 calories each. That worked great but it was not practical.

Hope that helps!

wetrat

Yes that helps. Thank you :) They never tell you how to do the small meals. Fortunately I don't really need to lose weight.

Gidds:
How do I make this switch and what are some meal ideas since we are breaking from the norm?

PS. I really like fruit and it is portable so I want that to be a factor in my switch.

I'm on the 5-6 meal thing....its all about balance.

I eat a meal roughly every 3hrs (small meal - about half of what you get at the average restaurant). Besides the usual english muffins & eggs, turkey sandwich, tuna salad....my in-between meals are usually cliff bars, harvest bars, balance bars.... lots of yogurt, you can mix with fruit - or granola.

The key is to eat enough so that you are not hungry for three hours and yet not eat too much so that you won't be hungry. You have to guestimate and alter it a little, but it has worked for me for a few years now. :05:

johnnyseko:
I'm on the 5-6 meal thing....its all about balance.

I eat a meal roughly every 3hrs (small meal - about half of what you get at the average restaurant). Besides the usual english muffins & eggs, turkey sandwich, tuna salad....my in-between meals are usually cliff bars, harvest bars, balance bars.... lots of yogurt, you can mix with fruit - or granola.

The key is to eat enough so that you are not hungry for three hours and yet not eat too much so that you won't be hungry. You have to guestimate and alter it a little, but it has worked for me for a few years now. :05:

Is that how you pull off the deceptively youthful appearence *snicker* If I looked THAT much younger I wouldn't even be considored old enough to drive :05:

Gidds:
Is that how you pull off the deceptively youthful appearence *snicker* If I looked THAT much younger I wouldn't even be considored old enough to drive :05:

Ahhhh thanks, the secrets out! But how young am I going to look driving around that RV so I have a place to dry off/stay warm in the winter when diving! :D

If you'd stop being stubborn and learn to dive dry you wouldn't need the Winnebago so nobody would need to know your age unless I was feeling mean and yelled it out at the dive site :devil_3:

you can begin the transition by slowly reducing your amount in those three meals and spreading it out slowly. dont rush it in a week your body should be used to the adjustment

Back
Top Bottom