Several Small Meals?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I should add that I see no reason to be suspicious of soy. It's a fantastic product. Just don't go replacing everything with soy-based alternatives like soy milk, soy meat, soy this and that. Adding soy is just a very good healthy way to add protein.

I said I was suspicious of it, I didn't say I refused to eat it. Reasons for being wary of soy products: ethical and ecological objections to certain soy production methods and practices, data about effects of soy protein on organisms considorably more delicate than humans, and because I'm picky! I actually like soy milk.

Don't forget legumes!! Beans, beans, beans! Great sources of protein and inexpensive. Try putting different kinds of beans in your soups and pasta sauces...kidney, cannelini, pinto, black, garbanzo, navy....etc. They come already cooked in cans or you can get them dry and add to soups according to package directions.

Garbanzo beans are the primary ingredient in hummus. Make your own or buy lowfat versions for pitas and crackers....load the pita with hummus and veggies.

Also nuts....add cashews, almonds, etc to your snack ideas. They are loaded with GOOD FAT and protein, but don't go overboard....keep them to the recommended serving as they are also high in calories.

Legumes are a great way to get some protein AND fiber. One thing I'll say about whey protein is to READ THE LABEL. There are some good whey protein powders that have an ingredients list with a few things - whey protein, natural color and flavors, fructose and stevia at most. Many products however are marketed to folks who are carbo-phobic and have artificial sweeteners in them. I prefer not to eat foods with sucralose or aspartame. Just my choice. If you don't have any issues with that, then the sky's the limit. And yes, acesulfame-K or acesulfame-potassium are weasel words for aspartame...

-Frank

Am I gonna get charged with pickiness and lynched if I say I don't much like legumes? :sofa:

I eat lentils sometimes and now and again I make lima beans or white navy beans or whatever they are. I have a lot of dried beans, could I just cook them up and keep them in the fridge and throw small amounts in my soup or salad to add protein?

Chick peas are yummy on salads. For one cup (way too many for a salad, but that's the info I found), you're looking at 12g of fat, 121g of carbs (35g of which are fiber) and 39g of protein. Yum!

It doesn't matter if you're picky or not, what matters is that you find stuff that you like that's good for you. There's a great big world-o-food out there, enjoy it.

-Frank

I guess I like chick peas, hmmmmmmmmmmm.

Chick peas and garbanzo beans are the same thing....make hummus!

Don't like hummus *trying not to sound like a five year old* I like chick peas with curry and squash.

Back
Top Bottom