Seven foot hose for single cylinder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like having a 7 foot hose on my single setup not only for ease of air sharing but also consistency in my gear configurations (between single and doubles.) The only "problem" I've ever had would be uninformed divers questioning my setup on charters. But in the end they see the light!

This.

As the saying goes, "Train as you fight." The LAST thing I want to be worrying about in a OOG scenario is "now WHICH kit am I using today and where is everything stowed/placed?"

Same rig for everything simplifies things SO much, so that when things DO go sideways, the reaction has a higher chance of success.

I am diving a conventional primary/octo regulator setup currently. My LDS does not have longer hoses in the shop, so I am unable to experiment. I understand the rationale behind the 7' primary, particularly when diving overhead environments. Is there an advantage of a 7' primary versus 5'? Do you route the 5' under the can light, or tucked into the waist webbing and then back up without circling the neck? Does the 5' need a flex connection to the primary for a more comfortable mouth fit?

So many questions, but I still have lots of time, since we still have ice on the lakes in MT.

I'm old school, I've been using a 5 foot hose on my Octopus since 1983. This is the way I trained, practiced, and dove since that time. I don't tech dive anymore so I'm not changing my comfort level just for the sake of doing what everyone else is doing. A 5 foot hose is great for open water, if I was to Tech dive again I would consider a 7 foot hose I'm just not sure if it would be on my primary. Times and techniques change, think how things will change in 40 years and if you will be "Old School" or not.

7' hose is the perfect length for me in terms of routing (down right side of BP, tucked under waist strap, up left side, and around my neck). There is no binding, or excessive length to potentially be caught on something.

I like the distance between myself and the person I'm donating to. Close, but not too close.

A "long hose" (5 or 7 foot) has a ton of advantages. Surprisingly, it's much more streamlined than traditional hose lengths, because there are no large loops of hose standing out from the diver. Everything wraps neatly around the body. And if there is a need for air-sharing, it is comfortably possible to swim side-by-side, if that's the most favorable strategy for getting home. (In some cases, although a direct ascent to the surface is POSSIBLE, a swim to another ascent point may be preferable.)

Five foot hoses don't always work for people with broad shoulders and chests -- the length may be stingy enough that they have trouble turning their heads to the left. A 7' hose, however, is adequate for anyone, and gives you the option of gas-sharing in single file -- which should NEVER be a necessity in recreational diving. If you are not using a canister light, you may need to put something on your waist belt to retain a 7' hose -- a pocket, a knife, even a weight, or DSS's clever hose retainer will do.

The ONLY downside to a long hose setup that I have encountered or can imagine is that you have to be a bit diligent about managing it. Having a huge loop of hose hanging off your gear on the boat can be an annoyance to other divers. Not securing it properly on your person can result in getting hung up while trying to enter the water.

I have dived a long hose setup since about my 40th dive, and I dive it on both single and double tank dives. I would not dive anything else. I love the neatness of a properly routed 7' hose (even on my small person) and the options it gives me.

I am thinking about adding a seven foot hose to my single setup for sport limts. Anyone out there use this type of setup? What would be the pros and cons?

Would seem to be more reasonable to first identify a problem area, then seek out a solution. This seems more like deciding on a course of action then justifying it. I'm not saying it's wrong to approach things that way, but one ought to realise which is which.

There, or course, very good reasons for long hose deployment, though recreation divers, as a rule, seldom do so. I have used in cave diving, but have never encountered a buddy breathing scenario [involving me] in open water. As for length, in my opinion, 5 ft doesn't cut it. That's right at my boots, and there are fins to follow.

You have the right do do as you wish, and it really isn't anyone else's business except, perhaps, your buddy's. Try it out, see what you think. It's an evolving process.

I dive with the 7 foot hose because I have had to shared air and the extra length makes it a lot easer. By the way i am not a tec diver and have only dived a single tank. It dose take some time to get used to and you should do some drills every so often but that is the same with any new gear.
Ian

I am thinking about adding a seven foot hose to my single setup for sport limts. Anyone out there use this type of setup? What would be the pros and cons?

Go for it ... Cons... hm I cannot think of any... you need a canister or a knife on the right side to route the hose behind but that is hardly a con

Pros: way easier to share air.

Personally I once tried to share air with my wife on a regular octo hose. In a horizontal position it was only possible when I was swimming right above her, the hose is just too short.

An alternative could be a 5' which is routed under the armpit. I use it on a single rig but it gets in the way of the right d-ring and makes it harder to clip off the stuff on the right ring.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom