Servicing your own gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is why I like Kirby Morgan regulators, they don't mind sending you parts. You figure the rest out yourself. Also exploded views of the regulators are available on the web site as well as owners manuals. Since the SCUBA regulator is the same as the diving helmet you just follow the instructions for the corresponding diving helmet to do a service. It's pretty cookie cutter.

Last edited:
I have purchased...a DVD filled with service manuals for all the major regulator companies...

it's suppose to have detailed servicing instructions...

Can't wait to check it out...

Yeah, I know about those specialty tools...I knew they would be involved... I have to fix my kids Nintendo DS, Sony PSP, and I-Pods all the time...they have some really strange screwdrivers and tools that you have to buy to open them up.

Give this a thought...how about buying a used Aqualung Conshelf XIV (Ebay about $50), and using it as a test project. They have a reputation of being "dead simple" (not my words) to rebuild, maunals are widely available, and parts support is outstanding. Put it on a slung pony and test the heck out of it when you are done. IMHO it is a great way to break into DIY reg rebuilding.

You're right...maybe I will pick up a cheap regulator that has easily accessible parts and mess wtih that first...I believe most regulators work on the same principle...

I have purchased...a DVD filled with service manuals for all the major regulator companies...

it's suppose to have detailed servicing instructions...

Watch out - reg service is not difficult but there are a lot of quirks that you may not learn from a book. It's best if you can find someone with experience to help you out at first.

If you want to play around, make sure to get a cheap disposable reg in case you break something (and dive it in shallow water just in case!). As another poster mentioned, old conshelf regs are great for this.

Yeah, I know about those specialty tools...I knew they would be involved... I have to fix my kids Nintendo DS, Sony PSP, and I-Pods all the time...they have some really strange screwdrivers and tools that you have to buy to open them up.

The "specialty tool" thing is largely a myth - there are very few tools that are actually essential to the job and most can be done with ordinary hand tools. Most of the specialized tools do make the job easier and are very handy if you're working on a commercial scale, but not required if you're only working on your own stuff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom