Servicing gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

+1
Most (2/3?) of the regs I bought used have some parts that don't come off with "normal" torque.
After I service them, the problem goes away.

+2
One of my hobbies is buying junk and restoring it (for resale at a loss, according to the wife.) The majority of the first stages I've had the pleasure to deal with are difficult to separate at the body to ambient chamber connection.

Last edited:
Funny, when I first read about using heat and cold to crack open a reg my first thought was they are being put together WAY to tight and that in 20 years in the business I have NEVER had to use heat and cold...today asked jack my Ops Manager, his same thoughts.... :)

The 4 that I ran into it on were all on their first service. As far as I know, no one had ever opened them after they left the factory. Glad to know I shouldn't run into that often, it was certainly the worst part of the rebuild.

I'll chime in on the "it won't cost that much" side of the fence. I think I spent about $120 in tools, including my heated sonic cleaner, which is amazingly helpful, by the way. That one tool cost me $70 from Harbor Freight and I spent I think $25 on a torque wrench, too. $6 in picks, $20 for an IP gauge and I was in business. I did later buy a Scubapro specific tool, but I haven't needed it.

I had been keen to service my own equipment, but the dive shops tell me how complex these things are and why the 20 year old kid with a days instruction from the manufacturer is qualified to carry out these highly technical tasks. Obviously I've come to my senses and realized that as an engineering trades teacher I would have great difficulty with these technical issues. Oh hang on, I'm being facetious......

I've decided to trust my own judgement and with a bit of research have found the parts I needed (eBay is a wonderful resource), specific tool suppliers, and the technical manuals in case I need them. I don't think the dive shops are all that impressed when you tell them you'll do your own servicing thanks, but that's life.

I'll probably look into some sort of certification later, but not while I'm just doing our own stuff.

I'm glad you guys continue to have a conversation on this thread. Anyone that wants to ask a question, please do, because I will probably think of it later anyways.

THANKS!

-Sutton

Hook, if you standardize on one particular model of first stage and second stage then you keep the specialized tool count to a minimum (or even zero).

I honestly don't have the faintest clue where to start looking there. the only thing I know, is I need something that is cold water-ish ready. Local area, when I would probably dive is going to be 40's at the beginning of the season.

---------- Post added April 10th, 2013 at 10:45 PM ----------

I've got an Aqualung/Apeks and Scubapro dealers in my area, but I don't like the overly expensive price tag that goes along with either name.

I was thinking HOG, but the mixed reviews makes it difficult for us newer folks to decipher the mainstream BS and the legitimate facts.

---------- Post added April 10th, 2013 at 10:58 PM ----------

Anyone have any links to reviews to HOG regulators. I can't seem to find anything on the forum. Other places I feel may be too one sided for newbie mind... I really don't want to make another thread, but I guess I could.

I worked in the publishing industry for many years. In general, magazine reviews are biased based on advertising dollars. The bigger the advertiser, the more sugar-coated the review gets. A magazine is not going to bite the hand that feeds it.

Scubaboard is a better, but imperfect, source of information. There are cheerleaders and detractors for almost every brand. Once you get more experience with the board you will figure out who is who. For example for one mod on this site I would trust her judgement for most gear except wings. She is biased towards one particular brand because of special treatment from the manufacturer. Some posters you need to watch out for because they sell the product.

I do not have any HOG regulators but usually the bad reviews come from people that do not like his business model as opposed to people that actually used and had a bad experience with the product.

Some of us buy used and service the gear ourselves. If you go that route then I would recommend standardizing on one model, at least initially. This will cut down the amount of specialized tools.

Last edited:
I believe I know which MOD you are talking about. I think I'll try posting a thread to see how it goes. I'm sure it will be a great disaster.

Are there any other companies that have the information available to service their equipment, with parts readily available to general public?

What do I need to look at as far as used gear?

What is YOUR recommendation? Brands to stay away from? Generic brands (like sea dive masks, it seems everyone has their own copy)?

Sorry I'm a pain. I'll buy you a virtual beer later! :drunks:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom