Serviceability of older regs still on sale (namely atx40)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Around

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi everyone,

After some great dives this summer I decided that its now time for me to get my own gear. After reading a lot of opinions and reviews im in doubt between the ds4/atx40 by apeks and the mk17 g250v by scubapro. It would seem they are both quality set-ups with a proven reliabilty and coldwater usability. As a student (hardly extra money lying around) i would prefer to buy the apeks simce they seem good and alot cheaper than the scubapros. But my concern is, wether the apeks will remain serviceable for a long time since they are an older model, followed up by the xtx-line. I'm looking to buy regs that will last me several years so it i'd be a shame if in two years time the atx40's are unserviceable because the kits aren't manufactured anymore or something like that. So my question is how long after a model of regs is replaced is it usually still serviceable?
Regulator
Greets, arnold

They share the same kits with XTX
They do not have exactly same features as mk17 g250

Mk 17 has 2 hp ports ds4 - one ATX40 does not have user adjustable crancking effort as does G250v.
G250v has seat saving feature that prolongs the seat life while being stored

Have you considered HOG or Edge Regs? Less expensive, great regs and you can learn to service them yourself.

Thanks for the replies,

So because they share the kits with the xtx, serviceability shouldn't be a problem i guess.
i understand that the scubapro offers more features but they are more expensive by about 200 euro's. Which to me is alot of money. But, i'm unsure what the seat saving feature means? If it means that the service interval when the regulator isn't used much for some time increases by a lot it might be a wise investment since i'm never sure when the next diving opportunity arises. What is the actual benefit of this feature? Also i dont really understand the point of a second hp port, isn't it only used for the spg?

I've read alot about the hogs/edge on these forums and a lot of people are enthousiastic, however they are not sold/serviced in the netherlands as far as i know of. And as i am relatively new to diving and completely new to owning my own divegear i feel it would be wise to be able to call upon the support of a local diveshop.

200 eur difference? OMG. My friend has ordered a set of mk17 g250 for the whole 300eur before tax. He ordered it from Europe somewhere. Shop around. You guys have very good prices in europe.
2 nd port allows you to either connect a wireless transmitter besides an spg or gives you more flexibility in hose routing as you can play with positioning of the reg.
Seat saving feature allows to releave the pressure from the seat so it does not take a set when stores so it prolongs the life of the seat thus potentially giving longer periods between servicing and the performance does not degrade while the reg is stored.

Part will be around for a long time.

Have you considered HOG or Edge Regs? Less expensive, great regs and you can learn to service them yourself.

First, that not what he ask for. Two that not correct, Three read hogs policy. Four answer the question next time.EDGE/HOG does not teach this class, EDGE/HOG dealers who wish to participate and have a TDI HOG Repair Specialty Instructor on staff teach the class.

EDGE/HOG does NOT sell parts to end users. EDGE and HOG dealers are permitted to sell parts. EDGE /HOG recommends that parts are only sold to those with formal training in regulator repair.

Here is some articles that TDI did on our service course

EDGE GEAR and TDI announces a Dive Industry first! | SDI | TDI | ERDI

HOG FIX YOUR GEAR | SDI | TDI | ERDI

The difference in the TX/ATX/XTX is mainly in the case design of the second stage. The TX is older and larger than the ATX. The XTX has the option of reversing the side of the regulator the hose come off of which sidemount divers like. The first stages are generally the same among the lines. I am assuming you are getting either a DS4 or DST. parts should be no problem and the second stage can be serviced with generic o-rings and seats.

---------- Post Merged at 01:32 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:18 PM ----------

Part will be around for a long time.

First, that not what he ask for. Two that not correct, Three read hogs policy. Four answer the question next time.EDGE/HOG does not teach this class, EDGE/HOG dealers who wish to participate and have a TDI HOG Repair Specialty Instructor on staff teach the class.

EDGE/HOG does NOT sell parts to end users. EDGE and HOG dealers are permitted to sell parts. EDGE /HOG recommends that parts are only sold to those with formal training in regulator repair.

Here is some articles that TDI did on our service course

EDGE GEAR and TDI announces a Dive Industry first! | SDI | TDI | ERDI

HOG FIX YOUR GEAR | SDI | TDI | ERDI

I am not sure why you hate HOG/EDGE so much but you need to read. First she asked the OP a question. Second, they are less expensive than most brands (at least in the US). Third, the consensus seems to be they are great regulators. Forth, you do have the opportunity to learn to service them yourself, if you so desire. I do not see where she says who provides the training or the purchasing of spare parts. BTW, I have seen the service kits listed on different online retailers (DRIS is one) so they can be purchased rather easily unlike either Scubapro or Apeks.

Last edited:
200 eur difference? OMG. My friend has ordered a set of mk17 g250 for the whole 300eur before tax. He ordered it from Europe somewhere. Shop around. You guys have very good prices in europe.
2 nd port allows you to either connect a wireless transmitter besides an spg or gives you more flexibility in hose routing as you can play with positioning of the reg.
Seat saving feature allows to releave the pressure from the seat so it does not take a set when stores so it prolongs the life of the seat thus potentially giving longer periods between servicing and the performance does not degrade while the reg is stored.

Try Scubastore.com consistently the cheapest prices I have seen in the EU, service is very hit and miss but great prices. Yes as another posted already posted all Apeks, bar Flight, use same 1st and 2nd stage kits so servicing will never ne a problem, in fact they are still making the ATX. The seat saving orifice on the second stage prolongs the life of the LP seat buy taking the spring pressure off the LP seat when depressed. How much difference this actually makes I am unsure, but would assume it would reduce the number of times it needs to be tuned/adjusted between overhauls.

FWIW, I have the Apeks kit you are looking at and am very happy with it. I have seen nothing that suggests any parts issues will arise.

I have had it to 120' and 3.3 celcius with no issues. Breathes great and works well at depth and in low temperatures.

IMHO if you do annual service, the seat issue is likely to NOT be an issue. And if you do a "layover" for a few years, you should have servicing done before restarting anyway.

The 40 can be retrofitted with the variable adjustment using parts from the 50 is you so choose. I have personally not found the need, I am happy with it as it is.

YMMV.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom