Service or Scrap - Mares Nikos Reg and Mares Voltrex Octopus?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DitrasetMan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Good afternoon,

My wife, who has not dove in about 7 years, would like to get back into diving. I found her Mares Nikos reg and Mares Voltrex octo, both from around 2001. These were lower-end right? I brought them in to be serviced, and my store was going to charge me the customary $50 for the service, but because they have not been serviced in so long, Mares would not pay for the parts, which might cost another $40.

So the question is: considering that it might cost around $90 to service this old reg and octo, is it worth it? Or should I buy her a new reg and octo? You can get a decent Mares first and second stage for $200 new.

Is that an MR 12 first stage? I'd service it,a new mares at$200 wwould have the same first stage most likely and a slightly different second stage. Practically the same reg really.

There's nothing wrong with those regs. Get them serviced and go diving!

Replacing the regs will cost more than servicing them.

There are reasons to replace:
1. taking on a new kind of diving (cold water, tech, hogarthian, public safety)
2. Can't get parts (not in this case)
3. Want

Number three is a good enough reason if you have the means. We dive for fun!

Dive safe.

Yes it is an MR12.

But is it worth it? For $100 I get an 11 year old entry-level reg, that has some corrosion. For $100 more I get a brand new entry-level reg. I am just worried about cheaping-out with my wife.

The Voltrex 2nd stage was the best that Mares made (it's still going strong in the guise of the Abyss).
It was the "nikos" that was the entry level reg.
Definitely worth servicing.

I too would vote to get the reg serviced. MR12 are hard working regs. I have one that is much older and it is solid. A complete rebuild will get rid of any corrosion as it will get ultrasonically cleaned. And if you rinse and dry it well you should not see any corrosion in the future. The Voltrex is a good second stage, my only complaint was the ring clamp used to hold everything together was a bit of a pain for servicing.

Otherwise - remember the three R's reuse, reduce, recycle.

Yes it is an MR12. But is it worth it? For $100 I get an 11 year old entry-level reg, that has some corrosion. For $100 more I get a brand new entry-level reg. I am just worried about cheaping-out with my wife.
Appreciate the concern, but . . .

The MR12 is a great recreational regulator first stage. I have one, probably of the same or slightly older vintage as yours, and am confortable with it in fresh / salt water, shallow and deep. I had my wife use it last year on a trip to Bonaire - I was that comfortable that it was functioning well - while I used another, used reg that I had recently picked up on eBay (which also worked quite well). Obviously, none of us can evaluate the 'corrosion' you refer to. It could be an indicator of a serious problem, or it could be meaningless (more likely).

I am not familiar with the Voltrex. I have a Nikos as the alternate second stage on my reg, and it functions well.

I most definitely would not 'get a brand new entry-level reg', simply because of concerns about servicing the Mares. If, for whatever reason, you want to upgrade to a better reg (although what you have is pretty good for most recreational diving), so be it. Age is a non-issue (except for parts availability, which isn't a problem for the MR12). You are not 'cheaping-out', by any means.

I'd keep them and service them myself. If that isn't an option you can probably get $50 for the regs on ebay as is. Apply that to your new entry level reg, and then difference is now only $50. Plus you will get the free parts for your yearly service with the new reg.

If you still want to scrap them, I'll scrap them for you. :D

Option 3: Service the Mares regs, and keep them as a backup set in your dive bag.... but only buy a new reg set if you really feel the need for something "newer". But "newer" will not be "better" than the MR-12/Voltrex unless you spend quite a bit of money.

Reason: MR-12/Voltrex is hardly what I would consider an "Entry Level" reg.... A well-tuned Voltrex will still hold its own against all but the very best 2nd stages on the market today, and the MR-12 is a bomb-proof, proven design, and supplies more air than you'll ever need for all recreational diving.

Best wishes.

You guys all forgot "Happy wife" factor Unfortunately often it has nothing in common with all those logical conclusions you made here in the topic, including "WOB, Entry/Exit level, saving pennies on servicing, kit availability for another 100 years,superiority according to bench testing and other technicalities". We have to look more on the psychological side. DitrasetMan just talk to your wife and see what she wants :)

Back
Top Bottom