Service Club Sunday June 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oldflounder

Contributor
Reaction score
New Hampshire/Maine seacoast or Lake Winnie
# of dives
200 - 499
I got in a dive at Service Club last May when I was down that way and I am planning another day of it there this year. I usually shore dive alone, but I would like to tag along with other like-minded individuals for a day of same day, same ocean diving. Will anyone be out there that day that wouldn't mind a tag-a-long?

I'm sure you haven't gotten a response not because no one is interested in diving with you but rather because June 2 is just a little too far away. Viz & conditions here can change in a matter of hours. I don't dive service club because I use a yak when I dive (bad knees) & service club isn't yak friendly. I do dive S.Brohard which is just a little ways down the road. You are more than welcome to tag along with me IF conditions are good & I'm diving that day. Try posting again, a little closer towards the date & I'm sure you'll generate more interest.

I'm sure you haven't gotten a response not because no one is interested in diving with you but rather because June 2 is just a little too far away. Viz & conditions here can change in a matter of hours. I don't dive service club because I use a yak when I dive (bad knees) & service club isn't yak friendly. I do dive S.Brohard which is just a little ways down the road. You are more than welcome to tag along with me IF conditions are good & I'm diving that day. Try posting again, a little closer towards the date & I'm sure you'll generate more interest.

Thank you for the response - I will be posting again as the time gets nearer,but I am just tossing it out there for now. It doesn't really matter where I go that day, it's just that I have dove Service before and had a little luck there in finding some small "new" teeth. Friday I will be going out with a charter for some serious searching - Sunday will just be a day to play in the water and explore. Service would be a good place for my wife to soak up some sun/hang out while waiting for me.

Thank you for the response - I will be posting again as the time gets nearer,but I am just tossing it out there for now. It doesn't really matter where I go that day, it's just that I have dove Service before and had a little luck there in finding some small "new" teeth. Friday I will be going out with a charter for some serious searching - Sunday will just be a day to play in the water and explore. Service would be a good place for my wife to soak up some sun/hang out while waiting for me.
Wrong end of the month for me or I would be in. I should be down the end of june - first week of july for about 12 days of solo diving. Plan on trying to hit all the spots. Will be staying near the sunset private access so will probably try and find some spots there, but I kinda like Alhambra so I will probably hit that several times.
Good Luck

You are more than welcome to join us for the Venice Pier clean up!
The SunCoast Reef Rovers annual Sharky’s Pier underwater clean-up event is scheduled for Sunday morning, June 2, 2013.

The SunCoast Reef Rovers is always looking for divers and topside individuals to help with this annual clean-up event. All divers are welcome to attend and partake as long as they are a certified Scuba diver and comfortable diving in low visibility water with debris and sharp objects in the area.

If interested in participating, please respond to Ken.Lackmann@fl.usda.gov by Wednesday, May 29th if you plan to dive or be a topside helper.

The current plan is for divers to enter the water at 10:00 a.m. and exit the water sometime on or before 11:00 a.m.- 11:30 a.m.

Divers should arrive between 9:00 and 9:30 a.m. to allow plenty of time to get ready and be able to enter the water at 10:00 a.m. There will be a pre-dive briefing at 9:30 a.m. to cover the dive plan. The pre-dive briefing will be held at the waters edge on the south side of the Pier - look for the SCRR banner.
The Venice Police Department will be on site to assist with the clean-up.

For those not aware, Sharky’s restaurant provides lunch for everyone directly involved in the clean-up. Guest of clean-up crew members not directly assisting with the clean-up will have to purchase their own lunch if they decide to join the group for lunch. Please let Ken Lackmann know if you plan to stay for lunch so he can compile a list of individuals involved in the clean-up and provide it to Sharky’s restaurant

No supplies/gear/tanks, etc. will be provided for the divers. Divers need to bring their own dive gear, tanks, cutting supplies, underwater trash bags, lift bags, etc..
Divers

1) remember to add just a little extra weight to help keep you down in the shallower water

2) remember to bring something to cut fishing line and possible crab trap lines

3) remember to bring some sort of bag to put trash in. Local retail “Dollar” stores typically sell mesh laundry bag (very inexpensive).

4) remember to bring gloves to protect your hands and protective clothing (wetsuit) to protect the rest of your body from sharp objects in and around the Pier

5) if you have any lift bags, it would be a good idea to bring them

6) all divers, including SCRR club members, please bring a copy of your dive certification card so we can attached it to the SCRR Dive Club waiver form. Many of the forms on file are outdated and do not have current “in case of emergency” contact information.

Topside individuals working the pier

1) remember to bring protective gloves (lots of hooks, etc.)

2) if you have any heavy duty rope that is 40’ or longer please bring it.

If you have any questions, please contact Ken Lackmann at ken.lackmann@fl.usda.gov

It is a fun dive & the only chance anyone gets to dive the Venice Pier as we close it down to fishing for approx. one hour.

My wife is agreeable to help with the cleanup topside - I will sign up when the time gets nearer if there aren't any unforeseen circumstances at the last minute. Thanks again.

Very cool! Will look forward to meeting you both! I'm Karen, ask for me!

Very cool! Will look forward to meeting you both! I'm Karen, ask for me!

Thanks Karen - I will do just that. I'm looking forward to it. I hear there are over 40 participants signed up. Should be an awesome gathering of divers. I wonder how many are from Scubaboard. I was at S. Brohard diving yesterday and then I walked Caspersen. I went in directly off the end of the straight board walk. The seas got pretty rough with a bit of a longshore current. Viz was at the tips of my fins - lots of particulate. Water was 82 by my computer - warm wind out of the SE - 2 foot seas at times - strong surge against shore knocked me off my feet climbing up over the step-up getting out - must have been a good laugh for my audience. I surface swam out opposite the end of the pier and I think I could still almost touch bottom. Between the poor viz, being a couple #'s underweighted, fighting the current/wind and having a leaking inflator valve I didn't get to do any searching for teeth; I just enjoyed the motion of the ocean and the sun in my face while riding the waves [I got there early before the heavy cloud cover moved in.] I did some exploring of Caspersen Park and plan to go back there today with my wife to show it to her and get some sun time before the weather moves back in again. Looking forward to meeting others tomorrow. See you then.................Joe

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom