Seriously, though... you're wearing your weights too high

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

An additional thought:

The gravitational mass of heavy fins is largely offset by buoyant forces underwater but inertial mass is unchanged.

If you’re going to be doing a long swim, you might want to think about the extra work required to repeatedly kick with heavy fins.

Ive never had issues but I’ve seen several others have fatigue problems exacerbated by using heavy fins. YMMV

Reactions: OTF
And that's one of the reasons I strongly prefer a frog kick. You get a 5 second break for every one second of work. Managed to do 5-6 hour dives (no deco... all swimming) pretty comfortably with such a routine.

At least, you do if you're properly weighted and trimmed you get that break. If not you spend the entire dive arguing with your entire body.

I don't dive with any lead on my twinset, but I still do this...

To avoid this little corrections need to continue to be made… generally by way of moving the feet. ******* constantly.

So if I raise my wing up a peg or two, will that help or make it worse? I was thinking I was foot heavy as well, so moved the wing to the top peg, this lowering it in relation to my body.

Raise the wing too high and you wind up with all the lift available by your shoulders, pinching off the bottom gas movement (assuming you've got a donut wing) with the tanks and pinching off a lot of the top because of the hoses pressing down and crimping the wing in places.
You might consider a trim weight. Not really ballast to descent, more like just ensuring your weighting trims you properly.
I have v-weights with a bit of webbing screwed into them. Most sit right next to the doubles bolts, but I have a few on extra-long bits of webbing so that can sit right by the very bottoms of the tanks.

laughed so hard I spat coffee over the room, your classes must be a lot of fun. :giggle:

"Also, as far as brass is concerned, are you still using Zeagle Flathead 7s that weigh as much as a VW Bug each? Why? Get new regs. Something with a swivel preferably."
It is a lot of fun to read, thanks.

I'm curious my tech config is double 100's. In my drysuit I'm overweighted with just the gear and no lead at all.

It’s “homemade” :wink:

Credit where credit is due; design for the weight is from my local GUE group (BAUE) but I did the CAD and mill work.
I want to cast some v-weights like what zero gravity had, where it's about 4lb v-weight with a piece of webbing on it. I loved being able to put 8lb on the bottom bolt and another 4 on the top bolt.

Could you send me the cad/cam file?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom