Serious scuba publication

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You guys are right. That diver magazine doesn't look half bad. Even some of the articles that I thought at first to be paid advertisements (such as the one interviewing the guy from Redundant Array of Independent Disks) were actually decent and thought provoking. I think I'll give diver magazine a shot.

Edit: their website seems to be broken. won't take my card. c'est la vie

You guys are right. That diver magazine doesn't look half bad. Even some of the articles that I thought at first to be paid advertisements (such as the one interviewing the guy from Redundant Array of Independent Disks) were actually decent and thought provoking. I think I'll give diver magazine a shot.

Edit: their website seems to be broken. won't take my card. c'est la vie
Is this the page you were using.
Checkout | DIVER magazine

Is there any market for a scuba diving magazine that relies on serious journalism? All the magazines that are in circulation on news stands seem to be advertisements for resorts and diving gear. If there was a magazine that features industry news, controversies, real accidents, lawsuits, along with highlighting rising personalities and insights into unusual expeditions then would it have a hard time getting sponsors?

Who would be in?

I might be interested if it had "real" articles, especially about the ocean environment, conditions, and what's being done about it. Realistic articles on how to get to a particular destination and what you will find when you get there would be very welcome.

I cancelled my subscription to Skin Diver Magazine over 40 years ago for the reasons you stated--every dive destination was the greatest in the world and there was no such thing as bad dive gear. This concept seems to apply to magazines in general.

A lot of that information is on this board.

A lot of that information is on this board.

Exactly. So the purpose of a publication should be to research and present facts that the board would find enlightening. What would they be? :idk:

... and there was no such thing as bad dive gear. This concept seems to apply to magazines in general.
Most review magazines won't publish any reviews that are negative. There was a question in a letter to the editor of Wood Magazine several years ago about why all of their gear reviews are always so positive. Most magazines are given gear to test out because a manufacturer wants them to. If they don't like the gear, they will send it back and politely decline to do a review instead of saying something negative (there is a quote from Bambi, I think, that comes to mind). That doesn't mean there is no such thing as bad dive gear, but it does mean there is no such thing as a bad review.

If you want to see negative reviews, you have to read magazines and sites that are not ad supported, like Consumer Reports. If Worldwide Diver Magazine publishes a deservedly negative review of the new SplashTec BCD, how many ads do you think SplashTec is going to buy in next year's contract?

Is this the page you were using.
Checkout | DIVER magazine
Yes. I think they're probably in Canada since that's the default country. I bet I'd have to call the bank and tell them I'm trying to buy something from Canada.

Yes. I think they're probably in Canada since that's the default country. I bet I'd have to call the bank and tell them I'm trying to buy something from Canada.
It is published in Canada.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom