Separate Hose Mounted SPG for Pony Overkill??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks to all of you for some great feedback. Is there a separate forum where I can inquire as to how to correctly (I know there are different ways to do it) sling a pony? i have seen some vidoes out there but would love to hear how you all sling? Did you buy one of those sleeves they make? Rig yourself with clamps and hardware? Is there a kit that any of the retailers sell that would have all the components? If this is not the correct forum ingnore my question. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.

G

Since your going to a BP/W I would suggest a AL40cf stage bottle rigging/slung. Why? If you were to decide to go any further with dive training the skills and tank will grow with you. If your just thinking about a small bottle, I would prefer a pocket that attaches to the BP under the wing close to side for easy deployment and streamlining.

I rigged all my stage bottles with stuff from the big blue store, for about 18.00 a bottle. Advantage to self rigging is to really understand how it goes together and is easily adjusted to get it to hang differently. Googl " rigging a stage bottle " or do a search here, I forget where I first got onto the method.
Eric

Good point..I have been known to mess up IKEA furniture and I don't think your life depends on that so not the time to get DIY… There is a British Fellow that hangs around the local LDS - Instructor who I hear is a techinical diver …was very helpful as he oversaw our quarry cert dives and helped the other instuctors where needed… looks like I am buying Fish & Chips !

---------- Post added January 17th, 2013 at 04:22 PM ----------

One last question for all of you. I hear that it is good practice to use the same second stage regulator on the pony; as in identical to the primary 2nd stage. ???

I keep them all the same, it makes life much easier when something goes awry and you can just grab another one.

...//... inquire as to how to correctly (I know there are different ways to do it) sling a pony? i have seen some vidoes out there but would love to hear how you all sling? ...//...

Landlocked123,

Took a while to come to terms with a slung pony, much fussing with it. However, once fine tuned, there are many benefits to slinging. A properly slung pony becomes just another something that you can take or leave behind as needed. It is also, as Uncle Ricky pointed out, easy to pass off to or clip onto a needy diver. This capability should not be undervalued by a new diver who hasn't yet taken rescue but is in the constant company of other new divers.

You asked about rigging a slung pony. Here is how I do it:

First, you need an easy deployment. I get this by keeping the secondary under two innertube straps, allowing you to just pull the secondary reg to completely free both it and the entire length of hose. Once deployed, it is quickly re-stowed under the round bungee that prevents the SPG from moving and releasing its hold on the secondary reg.

Note top view, keep everything tidy.
I use the SPG's hose to capture the mouthpiece and keep the secondary in place. -look carefully at the top view to see this.

The neck ring is usually metal, I replaced this with a urethane drive belt sized and sealed it to make a ring that just stretches over the valve. Use 1/4" round solid urethane drive belt from McMaster Carr if you wish to go the same way. The bottom clip also has a urethane ring. I clip this to a tailpiece rather than my waist D-ring, keeps it tucked in closer, less drag. The urethane has an added advantage of making the entire rig cuttable.

The bandclamp rides over a length of 1/2" vinyl tubing slit open along its entire length. This keeps the bandclamp from damaging the tank or causing corrosion in saltwater due to dissimilar metals in contact.

Last step is to fuss with bandclamp positioning to get the valve to hang where you want it while keeping the pony tucked in close to you yet out of the way.

Stay safe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom