Sensors: which gas shall I have in the loop when not in use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GUE's process was mentioned earlier: change all cells out at 12 months.

Curious to the thought process for this?

GUE's process was mentioned earlier: change all cells out at 12 months.

Curious to the thought process for this?
Super short version, they believe cells are most reliable within 12mos of manufacture and in the big scheme of things aren't that expensive.

Super short version, they believe cells are most reliable within 12mos of manufacture and in the big scheme of things aren't that expensive.
Is that all cells are changed as a single batch at 12 months, or just no single cell is to be in service past 12 months? I understand that no single cell in use past 12 months.

But the discussion has evolved into buying a single batch of 3-5 cell and doing everything at one time. or doing them one at a time, multiple times a year. The super short version, it could be read either way. Yes, no cell is over 12 months old. But do they all share the same birthday?

Is that all cells are changed as a single batch at 12 months, or just no single cell is to be in service past 12 months? I understand that no single cell in use past 12 months.

But the discussion has evolved into buying a single batch of 3-5 cell and doing everything at one time. or doing them one at a time, multiple times a year. The super short version, it could be read either way. Yes, no cell is over 12 months old. But do they all share the same birthday?
It can be both. GUE / the instructors / the checklist "recommends" to not use cells, which are older than 12 months. They can be of different batches, but don't need to.
If you want to have them from the same batch this means you will change them at the same time. If you want to have them of different batches you change them not at the same time.
But like barth stated: at least the GUE instructors I know change all cells at the same time. So it looks like this is the common way in the GUE "environment".

What I do: a few months after buying our two JJs I bought a single cell for spare. When the initially delivered cells were older than 12 months I bought 6 new cells. I put the older spare cell in my JJ, and one of the new 6 cells now was the new spare one. When the old spare one got out of the 12 months, I replaced it by the new spare one and ordered a new spare one.
Doing it this way, the "spare ones" get used at least a few months...
And we, having two JJs, have more or less all the time a spare cell.

My "spare" is the good old cell I just took out. Providing I don't have a cell failure causing a cell to come out. One at a time rotation means I am rotating my spare just as often.

The "bad batch" risk is really just an urban myth. There has never been any confirmation of this concept which (unfortunately) was in part started by Paul Raymakers with his terrible data-less review of sensor failure rates that is also just all hypothetical.

The only example or data that even remotely supports this position is the recent release of AST cells - where they were all poor, not just the August 2020 (eg) batch.

The "bad batch" risk is really just an urban myth. There has never been any confirmation of this concept
When AP switched to making their own cells? Some other manufacturer(s) had reliability issues?

Wasn’t that when a manufacturer withdrew from the diving CCR market?

I change all mine at the same time, that seems pretty common. As mentioned above, there is no requirement from GUE other than no cells older than 12mos from date of manufacture.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom