• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Sensorcon 20% discounts thru April 25

Discussion in 'Computers, Gauges, Watches and Analyzers' started by DandyDon, Apr 5, 2018.

1. DandyDon

DandyDon Old men ought to be explorers ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Mine has been on almost constantly since July 2016. I see no need for spare batteries or to risk opening the unit. I'll send it back in July for calibration, and they will replace the battery then. I know there has been some calibration drift, but it's still close enough for me.

2. Hatul

Hatul Solo Diver

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I bought one and plan to return in. First about the advice to use the Analox dome. Has anyone really tried this? I took a locally filled air tank, tested it with my Analox CO meter and it read 0 ppm. Then I put the dome on the Sensorcon and again tested the same tank and the readings went up to 30 ppm. Then I used the Ziploc plastic bag method and the Sensorcon read 2 ppm. I suspect the air pressure is affecting the sensor somehow. After all it's not designed to test pressurized tanks. In any case the readings that I found are all over the place and unreliable so I plan to return it and swallow the restock and shipping fee.

3. DandyDon

4. rddvet

rddvet DIR Practitioner

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    The sensorcon s a cheap pos for this exact reason. I had the same issue as well as many buddies. We all got rid of ours. The sensor is exceptionally inaccurae, and it is due to flow rates. You can adjust the flow rate differently on the same tank and it will read differently each time. I contacted the company and they finally admitted the unit really was never made for diving and diving was an afterthought. They finally admitted that the unit has accuracy issues based on flow rates. They've become very popular on scubaboard because of the cheap price and the "advocacy". I'm glad everyone's getting serious about co testing, but spending extra for a good unit with accurate results is preferred. I and my dive group distrusted the units so much we weren't comfortable using them.

Schwob and Hatul like this.
  5. DandyDon

Back to the bag, unless you want to spend more. I like the one gallon ziplock Freezer bags with handles for fast closing.

6. Schwob

Schwob Solo Diver

Well, you did better than me. They never replied to my (specific to the low end of measurements) accuracy inquiry (months back) I felt uneasy about not getting an email back and considering that many sensors have a measurement tolerance (e.g. a fixed tolerance or a percentage of full range) that makes them especially inaccurate for small measurements (as percentage of the measurement) I chose not to buy in the afsence of a for scuba relevant official spec. Now, the unit might still be useable ... maybe with the baggy method ... but who knows in the absence of....

Thank you for writing about you finding out that results are varying with flow rate.
    That closes that book for me.

7. rddvet

rddvet DIR Practitioner

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    It took several emails that propgressively got ruder till I eventually got a response. The company's service sucks jut like their unit. Everyone should have access to a co unit. But it should be a unit that's actually reliable and accurate.

Never needed a biggie or nothing special with my oxychq or analox. Spend extra and get a properly accurate unit.

8. divinh

divinh ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    For the Analox CO meter, how do you test it? Do you put the dome into the stream and it gets the reading? Thus it works under air pressure?

When I turn the Sensorcon on in my place, it reads 0 ppm. When I put it over a gas burner, it reads 1-2 ppm. Is this a testing method to see if it's doing something?

9. DiveNav

DiveNav ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

So ... what should be the price for a reliable - and accurate - CO only analyzer designed specifically for scuba diving?
    Please do not tell me $139 .....

10. DandyDon

Just try blowing at the hole. Everyone exhales a little CO, smokers more so.

Your products are superior. Since DAN and the agencies are not doing much about educating on the risk, it's challenging to get divers to spend any amount on tank testing. True, they should not have to, but that's the only way to be safe - and send a message to the operators that we are watching.