Senior diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Evasofia

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am new here, hi everyone!

We are going to Egypt shortly. Me and my husband have been diving on vacation, and the kids have patiently waited. Now it is their turn to be certified PADI divers! They are 12 and 13 years old.
My parents are also coming along. My dad is 74 and nothings stops him ever from doing anything. He has an extremely strong willpower. Now he also is considering taking the PADI course. He is physically fit, still working and travels alot. Having him near our teenage daughter would probably be good, since she is a little nervous about this, and we have come to being embarrasing parents. :)

What do you say - is my dad to old for diving. When looking at the form that needs to be filled out nothing is stopping him there..
Thanks for your advice in advance!

Eva

Seems like that's a question your dad should answer.

If he is game let him go for it, good on him :)

I am sure if he is confident in water and he is healthy then should be no problems. I would probably advise having a medical done prior to the trip to assure any instructor that he is fit to dive

If there is nothing medically that would stop him, and his doctor approves, he should go for it. If the mind and body are whole why noy enjoy the water world we still have. There are plenty of older peoplethat are taking up diving.

Hope your dad does get cert and enjoys it.

Good luck to him.

I have had the pleasure of certifying a few divers in their early and mid-70s. As others have said, it’s much more about ability and attitude than age. If there is a common denominator I’ve seen, it is that seniors tend to be a bit more deliberate in their approach to learning both the academics and the skills. But still, they were well within the normal range of students as far as “getting it’. And it probably didn’t hurt that I’m a senior myself.

If he's an avid traveler then he should be OK diving. It's all about picking the right dives once certified.

Have a look at the link below - BSAC have just celebrated certifying their oldest diver at 74 - so no reason your father can't if as others say he is fit and active enough for the physical requirements and wants to do it.

Basildon grandfather becomes Ocean Diver aged 74 - British Sub-Aqua Club

Best wishes to your kids for their certification - Have fun P

That's a first for me then ! - I'm usually the last to post anything topical, keep up the good work with BSAC - Cheers - P

Agree with knoticol, well said, I have noticed that many senior "snowbirds" are taking advantage of getting back into diving on the Spiegal Grove, Vandenburg, Oriskany and the Texas Clipper.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom