SemiDry Suits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RStyle

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Have not been able to find any new threads since 2011.
I live in Florida and would like to do some diving in California.. In my early 60's so not interested in training and expense of dry suits. Can use the semidry in Florida in the winter.
Looked on Internet at Bare and Henderson.
Any suggestions, recommendations, cautions etc.???

ScubaPro makes a great semi-dry. Though I don't have one, a couple of students of mine do. great suit..... ScubaPro also does a great drysuit (crushed neoprene) that (IMO) dives more like a wetsuit.

the Hollis NeoTek semi-dry is also great. several DMs I work with have it.

here in florida I go to my 5mm for most of the winter with Lavacore under. I'm going back to a drysuit next winter. not so much for diving but for getting back on the boat dry!

Have not been able to find any new threads since 2011.
I live in Florida and would like to do some diving in California.. In my early 60's so not interested in training and expense of dry suits. Can use the semidry in Florida in the winter.
Looked on Internet at Bare and Henderson.
Any suggestions, recommendations, cautions etc.???

You're not going to like to read this, but: go for a drysuit.

A "semi dry" is like being "a little bit pregnant". Either you're dry, or you're not.

There are many shell suits that are just fine for FL diving: I use my DUI 350TLS in the Gulf or various Springs in the Winter. Plus I've used it countless other places. It all depends on the water temp and what you layer on underneath. Also, they come in various price ranges. (For example, some manufacturers have "end of run" sales or sales on suits that people have sent in for repair then decided not to take them back.)

I have two suits: a full 3 mm and a drysuit. That's it. Anything else is superfluous.

I switched to a drysuit but i liked my Henderson, worked great down to freezing temps. Should be more than enough for summer diving in California, assuming you're not too cold blooded...

I live in California and have the Henderson and it works great. Water leaks into it very slowly and then there is very little exchange. This assumes a good fit. The integrated hood helps. Still, I only use it if I'm just doing a single dive for the day, which is rare. I prefer to dive dry. It's simply more comfortable, especially during the surface interval. The Henderson will certainly work in the summers here, and the winter too if you don't get cold as easily as I.

I ordered a Hollis Neotek - but appears to be on back in Canada - I have found only good reviews on it and it has POCKETS !
can't wait for it to arrive

I think whether you mean northern or southern California might make a difference in your choices. If you mean northern, I don't find it possible to stay warm in a fullsuit - it's just not thick enough - unless you have the metabolism and cold tolerance of a 20 yr old. The cold comes through the suit - wet or semi-dry may make a small difference, especially if the suit fits loose - but it won't be the major factor. You could go for the bulkier farmer john I suppose.

For SoCal, I think any well-fitting fullsuit - maybe one with a 9mm or 8mm body - might be adequate, particularly if your dives are active.

BTW, I don't pay a lot of attention to the semi-dry offerings, but I've seen everything from standard wetsuit zippers to typical drysuit zippers on suits sold as semi-dry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom