Semi Silly Question about Inner Tube

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot:
Why not use 3/16 or 1/4 bungee cord instead of rubber bike tubes? Then you can just tie them on instead of rethreading the entire harness. If one breakes, just tie a new on on.

Or is there a good reason to use the rubber inner-tubes instead?
I prefer the innertube. More streamlined, easier to break away if necessary. The extra time unthreading the harness and rethreading it a few times a year to replace 'em is well worth it to me.
Rick

i havent done mine yet, i like the idea of innertubes, couldnt you just put a few extra on and slide them down out of the way? i imagine you could check the tubes before and after a dive for wear and pull the bad ones off on the surface. id hate to think of having a bugee cord slipping off my rig and adding to the junk in our dive sites. be advised i have not yet tried either so i dont know how it would work in the water either way. just my .02

for those of you lucky enough to live in the country most tractor supply/repair companies that service tractor tires will give you old inner tubes. One tube would make you enough straps to last forever. BTW, The big ones work great as a beverage bouyancy device. IOW stick your cooler in it and your drinks will float with you for those surface interval relaxation times..

hmm outlawaggie makes a point. Instead of unthreading the harness, why not get a larger diameter tube, trim to fit, and use tire patch glue to glue the strap to itself around your harness. The glue you buy from any auto parts house for pluging punctured tires should galvanize the rubber so its a real strong bond.

Well, I just spent a grand total of 15 minutes opening up the package, cutting a section of tube, unthreading the hip ring, unthreading the webbing from the bottom slots on my plate, working the piece of tube along the webbing, checking the fit of the light inside of it, deciding that I wasn't happy with it, cutting a longer section of tube, working that into position, deciding that was much better, & rethreading the webbing. And keep in mind that this is only the second time I have ever messed with the webbing on my plate. So it isn't really that big of a deal to replace the tubing, seems to me.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom