Semi Silly Question about Inner Tube

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the pelican 2c for backup lights and I find a 1 1/2 inch split ring works better than rubber as it doesnt need the webbing to be undone, and it doesnt break.

You need to thread the bungee as part of shoulder webbing - you can slip it over d-rings and such, but its easier to put on in a logical order - think of a shish-kebab with bits of meat and veg stuck on a skewer (sp?) - you guys dont always have the same food over here as they do in the rest of the world, so not sure if my example has the target audience! :wink:

I worked in a bike shop before and during college for a number of years, I always slashed the tubes before throwing them in the trash, we would throw away 10-20 slashed tubes a day, and if someone wanted slashed tubes, i never thought twice about giving them as many as they wanted, hope you don't get charged.

Quarrior:
Hi,

Here's an interesting one. When going to Wal-mart or whereever to buy an inner tube to cut up and make bungees to hold things like lights in place, what size inner tube do you buy? The one I bought does not strech far enough to work well.
I like the 2" tubes - they fit tight enough on the webbing so that they don't slip around when not in use but have enough give to them to be easy to slip the light back in place. Since used tubes are destroyed at most shops and pieces are available for free, why not pick up a few hunks of the three sizes (1.75", 2.0", 2.25") and load all of them on your webbing for a trial run? Those that you decide you don't like best can be removed easily enough with a knife...

diveh3:
You need to undo your webbing to slide bands on.
That shot isn't quite right.
The harness should have two bungees/bands on it, but only one is used... the other is a backup in case the first one breaks.

diveh3:
You need to undo your webbing to slide bands on.

When I undo the webbing to put these on - I routinely add a few extras just incase. Ya never know when one is going to snap - and I'd just as soon have another right there to avoid refitting my harness every few weeks.

Why not use 3/16 or 1/4 bungee cord instead of rubber bike tubes? Then you can just tie them on instead of rethreading the entire harness. If one breakes, just tie a new on on.

Or is there a good reason to use the rubber inner-tubes instead?

kidspot:
Why not use 3/16 or 1/4 bungee cord instead of rubber bike tubes? Then you can just tie them on instead of rethreading the entire harness. If one breakes, just tie a new on on.

Or is there a good reason to use the rubber inner-tubes instead?
Because anybody can buy bungee?

Actually, I've tried it and what I found is that the bungee (or surgical tube, I've tried both) has a tendency to slide too easily on the webbing, doesn't have enough give to it (it's amazing how far an inner tube will stretch) and doesn't last nearly as long as a good old hunk of latex inner tube.

Ditto Reefraff.
A couple of guys were talking about punching a couple of holes in the webbing to thread the bungee through to hold it in position, but I decided against it. 90% of the time, when I deploy a backup, I don't even unclip it. I just turn it on and slide the band up to the boltsnap. It can be easily removed from the harness, but can be more easily re-stowed. With the bungee in a fixed position, it requires that the light be either unclipped and slipped downward and out, or pulled upward and out... can't just grab the head and quickly point it where you want.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom