semi-dry vs. farmer john

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

markr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So far, all my diving has been in warm water (i.e. the Keys and Bermuda). I’m planning on doing some dives in a couple of quarries in southern Pennsylvania and had some questions about wet suits.
Is a 7mm semi-dry suit warmer then a 7mm farmer john/jacket suit? Assuming equal quality construction.
If I layer a semi-dry suit with a shorty or core warmer, which suit goes on the outside, or does it matter?

I recently asked these same questions before buying a semi-dry. Here is what I gathered:
- While the farmer john has more thickness, they also tend to flush more since they are the cheaper end of a product line and therefore have lesser seals

- There are different types of neoprene out there. The cheaper suits are typically made with a softer and more plyable neoprene, and the dry-suit (at least mine) is made with a mire rigid neoprene. The softer stuff compresses more...the deeper you go the less insulation.

So an apples to apples comparison would be a cheaper one-piece, and for that the guy at my LDS says you'll need a trunk warmer and hood or at least a hooded vest underneith. With a semi-dry you may be able to get by w/o the trunk warmer or vest depending. One advantage to using a one-piece (including the semi-dry) is you warmer than a farmer john due to less flushing, but you need less weight since there is overall less neoprene.

I hope to dive my semi-dry suit for the first time this weekend. My old farmer john fit pretty good to where I didn't notice any flushing. I bought the semi-dry in hopes that it will be warmer and require less weight....and it fits (the farmer john doesn't any more).

The semi-dry should be considerably warmer. Many divers report ending the dive not even fully wet. That being said while there may be some seepage there is virtually no flushing. Since the suits fit slightly looser they also tend to avoid the super soft/super stretch materials so the neoprene retains more insulation with depth.

Since the semidry is your barrier the shorty would go on the insde where it to would be immune to flushing while giving you the benefit of a little core insullation.

Be careful though, a semi-dry can be very close in cost to an entry level dry suit.

Pete

As spectrum said the cost of a semi-dry can rise to that of a entry level dry suit. . . BUT my question is why would you want to put a shorty on under your semi-dry? I dive a semi-dry in the Bainbridge and Willow Springs with no problem, The Mares I dive when the cuffs are rolled after a dive the water in my suit is as warm as my bath water, without the yellow tint.

i got a pinnacle polar for 450$ and it is phenomenal. merino wool lining is exothermic so it gives off heat when it gets wet. it also resists odor. it barely flushes and has awesome seals. the only negative point i can think of right now is that i can't pee in it or else i am marinating in urine, which is generally not something i like to do.

So you should not pee in your semi-dry?:11doh: Unless you want the pee to be with you at the end of the dive?

Heck, might as well go entry level dry. :D

spectrum:
The semi-dry should be considerably warmer. Many divers report ending the dive not even fully wet. That being said while there may be some seepage there is virtually no flushing. Since the suits fit slightly looser they also tend to avoid the super soft/super stretch materials so the neoprene retains more insulation with depth.

Since the semidry is your barrier the shorty would go on the insde where it to would be immune to flushing while giving you the benefit of a little core insullation.

Be careful though, a semi-dry can be very close in cost to an entry level dry suit.

Pete

You're comparing apples and oranges. Semi-dry has nothing to do with farmer john or single piece style of suit. A single piece suit or the farmer john style suit can both be semi dry. =)

The wet suit I had was both a farmer john and a semi dry. It was awesome. It let in some water and didn't constantly flush because of seals in the neck, wrists and ankle areas. Highly recommend a semi dry.

One thing to remember is that if you going with 7mil (which I did) you'll have 14mil over your chest and thighs. This will add extra bouyancy, so you'll need a little more weight in comparison to using a single piece. If you're not prone to getting cold, go with the single piece.

I have a couple friends who dive a single piece suit and love it.

The way is works is you put the core warmer on first, then you put on the legs and then the top (which looks like shorty with sleeves).

DivingCRNA:
So you should not pee in your semi-dry?:11doh: Unless you want the pee to be with you at the end of the dive?

Heck, might as well go entry level dry. :D

That's what I did.

New Neoprene suits can be had for $500.

I know plenty of divers up here making do nicely with high performance undergarments they had from other sports, just make sure you have the right stuff moviong moisture away from your skin.

If you can find a suit with booties that fit your existing wetsuit fins you can avoid that extra cost too.

That being said... I like the simplicity of diving wet and if I were in a more midrange winter climate a semi-dry would be very appealing for even money.

The right suit for the right dive.

Pete

Thanks for the information.

runamonk - I understand the point you make concerning comparing semi-dry and 2 piece farmer john/jacket suits being an apples and oranges comparison. What I was really asking was if the additional warmth provided by the semi-dry feature would make a single layer 7mm semi-dry suit warmer then a wet suit with 14mm on the core area and 7mm everywhere else. From the responses I take it the semi-dry would be warmer.

The reasons I haven't seriously considered a dry suit are:
1) I haven't found one for under $800.
2) The excuse I give the spouse for spending money diving is so I can spend quality time with my 17 year old, so all purchases are made in quantities of two.
3)I'm not sure I'm ready for the extra complications of a dry suit.

markr,

If you do have an interest in going dry the names Oneil and Atlan come to mind for $500. suits.

Being down the coast in MD I would expect the Semi-Drys to give you a very nice extened season and allow for an occasional wintertime dip should you care to do so.

That's no excuse, it's a great reason. I wish my 16 year old would bite at the offer. Enjoy while you can.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom