semi-dry vs. farmer john

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

markr:
Thanks for the information.

runamonk - I understand the point you make concerning comparing semi-dry and 2 piece farmer john/jacket suits being an apples and oranges comparison. What I was really asking was if the additional warmth provided by the semi-dry feature would make a single layer 7mm semi-dry suit warmer then a wet suit with 14mm on the core area and 7mm everywhere else. From the responses I take it the semi-dry would be warmer.

The reasons I haven't seriously considered a dry suit are:
1) I haven't found one for under $800.
2) The excuse I give the spouse for spending money diving is so I can spend quality time with my 17 year old, so all purchases are made in quantities of two.
3)I'm not sure I'm ready for the extra complications of a dry suit.

These are all good reasons. The semi is probably warmer, I can't say for sure because I never dove a single piece. I was very warm in the farmer john style though. Although I can't say if it was because of the farmer john or the semi dry. Probably a little of both. :)

I know what you mean having to buy everything twice, my wife and I have the same problem!

Back
Top Bottom