Semi-Dry vs 5/7mm Wet Suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oldbear

Teaching Neutral Diving
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Hello ScubaBoard,

I am looking at buying a Semi-Dry Wet Suit. How do these compare to a 5mm or 7mm wetsuit? And if I do settle on a Semi-Dry, what should I look for in the construction of one…any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

~Michael~

Semi-Dry=wetsuit of a different name. A semi-dry is a wetsuit with water dams at the wrist and ankles and zipper, some go further and install a dry zipper. You will still get wet but just not as much. They will be a little warmer as the water transfer in the suit is less due to the seals, but nothing beats a drysuit in cold weather or water and the price of a semi-dry can be very close to a drysuit.

Semi-Dry=wetsuit of a different name. A semi-dry is a wetsuit with water dams at the wrist and ankles and zipper, some go further and install a dry zipper. You will still get wet but just not as much. They will be a little warmer as the water transfer in the suit is less due to the seals, but nothing beats a drysuit in cold weather or water and the price of a semi-dry can be very close to a drysuit.

I too am interested in a semi-dry as I currently dive a 7mm wet.. is the semi-dry generally more pliable then a 7mm?

Andy gave the exhaustive definition of a semi dry versus a wetsuit. Now all depends on the temperature of the water where you are diving. If you feel that with a semi-dry you can go for a 5mm, then yes - but as Andy says, nothing is worth a full drysuit if you want to dive in cold water (I use a 4mm compressed neoprene drysuit for the winter period).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom