Semi-Dry Suits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KCDO

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'll make this brief so I don't waste too much of everyone's time. I dive in the Pacific NW, and as some people can surely testify, the water is quite cold year round. I currently dive a 7mm Bare wetsuit but I recently learned about semi-dry suits, and the increase in warmth is a huge plus for me and very interesting.

I was wondering if people could comment on opinions of semi-dry v. wetsuit v. drysuit (I realize that drysuits are the gold standard in the PNW, but I currently don't want to shell out $2K, nor do I want to take the added risk of diving in such a suit for at least a few more years). I'm also interested in perceptions, opinions, and thoughts about two different semi-dry suits. I'm currently interested in the Waterproof SD Combat semi-dry and the ScubaPro NovaScotia. Besides the ~$400 price differential, can anyone comment on the differences in quality and which suit would be best for where I'm diving?

Thanks for any info anyone can throw my way.

Semi-dry is like semi-pregnant. Either you ARE or you are ARE NOT. There is no "semi" in the equation.

Not sure what you mean about "added risk" of diving in a drysuit. Unless you are referring to the risks associated with having a much more comfortable/enjoyable dive.

:d

I suggest you look into drysuit options. Several brands have models available for far less than the $2k price tag you cite. The Bare Nex-Gen Pro can be had for roughly half that cost.

I dive a hooded 8/7/6 double pocketed semi dry and love it. I would place semi's in two categories, semi dry and semi wet depending on the amount of water they "let" in. As opposed to a full wet suit, my semi more like allows water to weep in and does not flush water like a full wet suit. Now, king for a day, go dry but the newer semi's are nice.

PNW and drysuit are the only words I would put together. By added risk I think you meant the risk of hypothermia in a wetsuit vs being reasonably cold in a drysuit if you were swept out to sea and had to be rescued.

COST$$$ Who says a drysuit has to cost $2k? We spent $128 shipped on my gals drysuit. I paid $1,150 on my Fusion. In the past I have spent $400 on a suit and undies that lasted me for over 300 dives. There is nothing wrong with a used suit.

Until the end of this month any new suit purchased from Dive Right In Scuba comes with a lifetime guarantee. The only guarantee you are going to get with a semi-dry is to be wet and cold.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/hot-deals/443996-free-lifetime-warranty-any-drysuit-purchase.html

Dry Suits - Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL

There is a reason you see the experienced divers in drysuits, not wetsuits. If you want to keep diving and get experience, get a drysuit and dive more. Do the second dive of the day, and enjoy diving in comfort.

I appreciate all of the comments. What I meant about the added dangers of a drysuit, is the danger of having the air gather in my feet and shooting the surface upside down. I realize that it's a small risk, but with a wet/semi dry suit, I don't have to worry about that. Also, from what I understand, dry suits are fairly maintenance heavy, and a wet suit or semi...you just wash it and you're pretty good unless the zipper fails. I do appreciate how great dry suits are, especially where I'm diving, I just would rather stick with something that I'm comfortable diving in for another 50-100 dives.

So.... with all of that additional information, does anyone have any further info for me? I realize that I'll be wet regardless of whether I'm in a wet suit or semi-dry, but I'm going for an increase in warmth as I don't have a lot of body fat and my current 7mm wet suit isn't really cutting it anymore.

Special deal! The secret the dive industry doesn't want you to know! ....how to save$1200 on a new dry suit.

The normal progression:

1. Buy a semi-dry wetsuit: $450
  2. Get cold
  3. Buy a custom-fitted, soft-neoprene semi-dry: $750
  4. Still get cold
  5. Buy entry level dry suit: $1600
  6. Stay warm
  7. Total: $2800

The secret way:

1. Buy a dry suit

All the best, James

If you're 5'2 to 5'6, buy my dry suit and save yourself the headache! :D

Other than that, if you intend to dive 12 months out of the year, buy a drysuit...your body will thank you.

If you're going to dive 3-6 months out of the year and never go below 60 ft, buy the semi-dry. Once you go below 60 ft, the wetsuit becomes both a safety hazard, as well as losing most of its insulation value. A drysuit has the same insulation value at 20 ft as it does at 120 ft.

I live in Mass and dive capeann all the time. November through June I use a drysuit. Come July through October I use a semi-dry. I like to switch over because I like the feeling of diving wet and I can wear 18lbs pounds instead of 32lbs. Plus it saves wear and tear from the barnacle covered rocks of Capeane on entry and exit. I find it comfortable in water 45 degrees and above. I have a Henderson Thermoprene 8/7mm Semi-Dry. The water transfer is almost nill and usually my bathing suit is still dry.

Back
Top Bottom