Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've just returned from Galapagos liveaboard. I dove my drysuit on all dives other than Wolf and Darwin where I was advised to use a 7 MM. The guides were concerned the current would cause my drysuit to be ripped on the rocks. I'm happy I brought the drysuit for the rest of the dives. The ship provided me with the wetsuit for Wolf/Darwin dives, so I didn't have to purchase one.

A friend onboard was diving a semi dry and struggled to get in/out of it. Consequently, she didn't enjoy her dives. The rest of the passengers seemed to be fine in the 7mm...except for really cold water at Isabella and a nearby site. They coped by cutting their dives a wee bit shorter.
thank you. This is very helpful.
I have not used a semi dry and that is a big concern.

Hi,

I've only started diving recently. Living in Sydney we probably have similar water temp to the Galapagos. At the moment we have 21-23c in the water.

I dive this in a Probe 5mm iDry semi-dry. Yes they can be a little difficult to get on, but once inside you are toasty. The coolest temp I've dive in is 19c so far with a 3mm Probe iDry hood. Once on, so easy to move in.

The Probe iDry has a soft fleece lining, which doesn't feel cold when wet.

I messaged Probe about the thickness and they are 5mm neoprene and then the fleece lining, so would probably be equivalent to 6mm in thickness.

Don't have any flushing issues, unless I want to to cool down by stretching the neck seal.

They are really stretchy, and one fun test when off is to seal one end of an arm and blow into the other and inflate it like a balloon. I've seen this done to 4-5 times it's normal diameter.

Just about everyone in Sydney dives in some brand semi-dry nowadays, with Probe being the most popular (about 40% market)

The sell for around $500Aud

I forgot to add, I dive with my 15yo son, who is 5'11" and 65kg, no fat on him. He feels the cold easily and is always paranoid about being cold.

He has not felt cold in his iDry, even when the water temp was 19c.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom