Semi-Dry Experiences

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A "semi-dry" is a wetsuit with a higher advertising budget.

They're still wetsuits, they still get you wet, they still get you cold.

If the water is cold enough to consider a "semi" that actually means its really time to buy a drysuit.

Take a look at this thread for some related suggestions.
<http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/exposure-suits/194480-warmest-wetsuit-available.html>
One early reply in that thread mentioned the Xcel Polar Quad, which I rented several times last year. Coldest water was 38 degrees (April shore dive) and my face was instantly numb - but the suit itself was surprisingly warm. Biggest problem was my 5mm booties (and not having learned yet to put boots UNDER the leg of the suit to minimize water flow). My feet were blocks of ice by the end of the dive. The rest of me was fine - though it was time to get out of the water. The next weekend I did a two tank dive in water nearly as cold. Trick I'd read on this board of using warm water from a thermos down the suit during my surface interval along with a thermos of hot chocolate happily shared by the dry suit divers I was diving with helped take the chill off. As the waters got warmer I really was pleased with this Xcel suit. It doesn't have a true dry suit zipper but design seemed to minimize water movement. Integrated hood was nice as well.

To avoid renting for another season I stumbled on a closeout of a Camaro semi-dry suit online (see below). Fit is critical of course and hence the challenge of online shopping. I had to return the first suit once to get the size right (I think return shipping was only $6 though with their return UPS label).

<http://www.sierratradingpost.com/Reviews/18063_Camaro-Stingray-Pro-LTD-Overall-and-Mono-Short-For-Men.html>

I also searched online for a keycode and got an additional 20% off the original 'closeout' price. I'm hoping its 7mm 'full suit' plus 4mm hooded shorty sleeveless 'jacket' should be as warm as the Xcel and gives me me layering options (7mm by itself or layered when its colder). Honestly I don't have experience diving with this suit yet though (hopefully next month!).

I'd love to get a dry suit to dive more comfortably year round in New England (and hope to do that eventually) but for the near-term that wasn't happening - so these wetsuits were what I leaned towards with costs in mind.

Good luck.

I've dove wet with a 7/5 henderson gold core with integrated hood, 7mil gold core boots and 7mil gold core golves with a pinnacle 3mil vest in 47deg water for about 35 minutes and was fine in the water. Its the surface interval that's tough and makes repetitive dives difficult. I now have a pinnacle freedom DS and love it. I got the DS, merino undergarment, rock boots, menino hood, and dry gloves for about $1400. That's about half the price for a DUI tls 350. I did a review on it recently so check my posts. I have not seen the pinnacle extreme for the prices discussed, but I do like the merino lining a lot. Its very warm. My pinnacle hood is menino lined and my head was not cold in 37deg water for 55 minutes! I would also recommend the freedom over the bare as they are nearly the same price and the pinnacle is a tri-lam compared to the bi-lam bare. The pinnacle also has suspenders and a thigh pocket standard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom