Selecting Dry Suit Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dschulte

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I am posting this under the Technical Diving section to get some experienced feedback. I have been diving a dry suit for just under 1 year, around 25 dives on it. I have tried several fins, Twin Jets, Jets, Atomic and Force Fins, but am not totally satisfied with the performance. There are some specialty manufactures like OMS that make a “dry suit” fin, but have not found anyone with a pair to try. So I am interested in what the experienced dry suit diver straps on his/her feet.
:monkeydan

What sort of boots do you have on the DS, and what size? I wear size 14 rockboots, so my only options were Turtles or the Texas-sized Jets (XXL?) The Turtles were a much better fit and I've been very happy with them. The OMS Slipstreams may also fit me, but they're made from a much less dense rubber and I liked the more negatively buoyant Turtles (with Manta spring straps).

LG Diver:
What sort of boots do you have on the DS, and what size? I wear size 14 rockboots, so my only options were Turtles or the Texas-sized Jets (XXL?) The Turtles were a much better fit and I've been very happy with them. The OMS Slipstreams may also fit me, but they're made from a much less dense rubber and I liked the more negatively buoyant Turtles (with Manta spring straps).

The new dry suit has integrated 5mm Vulcanized rubber, size 9, so I wear a LG fin in Atomic and Twin Jets.

A drysuit is what finally convinced me to stop using my splits.

(Well, that and fundies prep)

I've been pretty happy with Jets. What kicks are you using?

I have Turtles. Jets (XL) were just a bit too small for my Bare attached boots. Happy enough.

CompuDude:
A drysuit is what finally convinced me to stop using my splits.

(Well, that and fundies prep)

I've been pretty happy with Jets. What kicks are you using?

That is one of the challenges I have been having with the split fins. I worked on the helicopter, frog and backward movement with the jets, but do not own a pair. Splits only work well for me with the scissor kick. I was not used to the jets so my shins were killing me after the two dives.

I use turtle fins with my dry suit stay away from split fins wont get the propultion you need if you ever go doubles and want to use any special kicks

Has anyone kicked the OMS Thrust fins?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom