Selecting a Whites drysuit for someone who is 6'5" 210 lbs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Arabidopsis

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there

I am a new diver looking to invest in a drysuit early on in my diving career. I will be doing a lot of scientific diving over the next two years and need to invest in a good durable suit. Not that I plan to abuse it, but durability is one of my primary goals when I purchase something expensive.

I have rented both a Fusion and a Nexus from my LDS, which sells only Whites drysuits and staunchly stands by their quality. My experience in the fusion wasn't the greatest, and I had problems with buoyancy control and leakage. However, as they were my first OW dives and I didn't have proper undergarments, I think the buoyancy issue was not the fault of the suit :p I have also rented a crushed neoprene Brooks suit from another dive shop.

The problem is my physical dimensions. I am 6'5", 210 pounds, with a 16" neck, 43" chest, 34" waist, and 40" hips/butt. My LDS was fairly sure that I could go with a 2XL fusion.

However, my dimensions puts me above the upper limit for heigh, at the low end for chest, below the minimum for waist, and at the low end of the limit for buttocks. These measurements are a bit out of date but I'm not too far off.

What would your recommendation be for someone of my size? I like the concept of the fusion and the good reviews it got, but I am concerned about not fitting within the size chart. If the fusion would be a no-go, what other recommendations might you have?

Check with Mike at Dive Right in Scuba. I'm pretty sure he told me you could get a fusion semi-custom made / altered from the factory. Seems to me he's about 6'4 190 and they set him up.

I am 6' 4" 222 lbs and dive a 2x/3x fussion and love it. it is long and flexable to be able to do valve drills comfortable. bouyancy is eazer if use the wing not the dry suit . leakage is also less if air is not vented out the neck seal only a litte air to keep the tightness off.
Jerry B

You should fit perfect in a 2XL/3XL(one size) suit....I just so happen to have a used one coming back if your interested in a deal....has a patch in the leg, but was done at the factory and doesnt leak....any interest?

Brian, your suit should be here in no time, and I will get it right out to you :D Your gonna love that limited edition :wink:

Thanks for the advice guys. I tried a 2XL/3XL fusion and wasn't thrilled with the large excess of material in the gut area.

I ended up going with a custom fitted Nexus 2. I can't wait to try it out!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom