Seized HP Balance plug on Flathead VI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for this post.

Refurbishing old scuba pro mark 5 first stage. Used vinegar soak and for a while on center section then hammer rap technique to loosen corroded screw threads In area with piston and spring . Used torch too, Did not get too hot,just a bit warmer than main body to let metal expand some.

At my wife's (industrial food science) suggestion, with my last similar experience I did not do the heat treatment, but rather, a cold soak. To my great surprise, disassembly was MUCH easier than with my previous attempts at using heat to "expand the pieces away from each other". Tho' it's not intuitive, I've now had three instances where frozen parts were loosened after a cold soak: two hours in the refrigerator.
Apparently everything actually shrinks microscopically, making separation easier, as opposed to "the big part will shrink onto the smaller part" making it worse, I thought.

Kudos to my wife.

Kudos to my wife.
Wives are smart and we should listen to them more....... Like that's going to happen..

Good to hear about the "cold soak." Will need to keep that in the back of my mind next time I am trying to separate seized parts.

At my wife's (industrial food science) suggestion, with my last similar experience I did not do the heat treatment, but rather, a cold soak. To my great surprise, disassembly was MUCH easier than with my previous attempts at using heat to "expand the pieces away from each other". Tho' it's not intuitive, I've now had three instances where frozen parts were loosened after a cold soak: two hours in the refrigerator.
Apparently everything actually shrinks microscopically, making separation easier, as opposed to "the big part will shrink onto the smaller part" making it worse, I thought.

Kudos to my wife.
I've also had success with alternating cold soak and boiling.

I've also had success with alternating cold soak and boiling.
Same here-learned it from AWAP (now Redacted.)

So why didn't you tell me, @Couv ?
I could'a (sweetly) said to my wife, "Honey, I already KNOW that! "

Anyone interested in DIY regulator maintenance ought to read all of awap's post. Unfortunately, he was excommunicated and all of his post now bear the moniker "Redacted." Of course, that makes it near impossible to search his wisdom.

Having said that, I think the "@rsingler tap-tap-bang" method should be the first trial of loosening a recalcitrant object. It either works right away or not. If no joy, move on to the next method. @tbone1004 suggest "tighten-loosen/tighten-loosen." The purpose is to find "fresh" threads before fighting the corrosion on the frozen bits.

Long soaks or hot/cold treatments take time.

Telling one's spouse, "I already know that" should be avoided especially if true.

Kudos to my wife.

This is great... I was actually planning to tackle a stiff manifold this afternoon.. I think I'll try cold before heat!

As someone that removes seized hardware for a profession, heat, cold, and vibration are all go to tools of the trade. A toaster oven and liquid nitrogen can remove almost any seized fastener.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom