Seized HP Balance plug on Flathead VI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rfwoodvt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Just received a used Flathead VI as part of a grab bag of spare parts. Figured it would be a reg choice to learn overhaul on.

All started well well on the ambient side of things except that the seat support was lightly siezed/overtorqued making it difficult to unthread. I then went to the HP side only to find hp balance plug is seized to the body, enough so that the allen socket started to deform, at which point I stopped.

Any tricks of the trade to free up a seized bolt/screw/plug/thread such as that on a first stage body?

Try a long soak in 50/50 vinegar, then the rest of tbone’s suggestions.

Often, putting a socket or allen key in/on a corroded in place object-then giving the tool a good sharp rap or two with a hammer will knock the corrosion loose.

Often, putting a socket or allen key in/on a corroded in place object-then giving the tool a good sharp rap or two with a hammer will knock the corrosion loose.
agreed, impact>>>>>>constant force. I do highly recommend the first couple of raps being in the "tighten" direction though then the next couple in the "loosen" direction

Sorry, I was not clear. Raps on the tool not in any direction to loosen or tighten. The object is just to break the bond of the corrosion.

Comme ca:
loosen corrosion.JPG

BTW If you choose to use the "soak method" remember to open up the first stage so that the acid bath/soap can reach the threads. Not an easy task considering the o-ring on the retainer is designed to keep the gas in and the water out.

Thanks all for the input. removed the DIN fitting and all the port plugs. I also pulled off the enviro cap and as much of that end as possible. Then I stuck it into my US cleaner with vinegar water for several cycles.

Still had a hard go of it especially since the allen wrench began to deform the socket on the HP plug. Ended up needing to reform the socket with a hammer and torx bit much like Couv showed above. That pretty much did it and it finally came out came out.

US Cleaned the rest of the body and parts again in a vinegar bath followed by neutralizing with a Bicarb bath then a clear water bath. Ended up deciding to replace the HP plug and Rick at Zeagle express had one in stock. Just waiting for that to arrive so I can reassemble.

@rfwoodvt just remember next time not to yank on the allen key so it deforms. If it won't come out with a normal strong pull from your hand the first time, go straight to tapping the allen key with a hammer so it doesn't round out. It's all about area under the curve which is why impact guns exist in the first place

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom