Seeking regulator advice for a friend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zef

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
A friend of mine is a new diver and he is interested in purchasing a reg set from a fellow club member.

The reg set was serviced in the last 12 months and not used since. The seller is asking 150 euros.

I am not familiar enough with the older AL regs to give him any advice.

Could the anyone please take a look at the pictures below and advise if this is something he should invest his pennies in?

Thanks,

-Z

72920939_2475133929475666_6062643661710032896_n.jpg

75285825_521463131733496_3809455882098442240_n.jpg

73195207_2434355313444848_1421843473027301376_n.jpg

spg.jpg

I was just told by the owner of the reg set that the octo is actually an older version with the wrong cover...the original cover was deteriorated and he put the cover depicted above on it to see if it would fit...he says it sort of fits but it is not a perfect/correct.

Here is a pic from the internet of the octo model with its correct cover...I know from another thread that this cover is no longer available:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT56SZPzSdEgGhRUpv-HNLW7oXUhy9gq-Ph8Qb9WbbXPXj-AeFc&s.jpg

The price was also dropped to 100 euros for the set.

-Z

A bit too expensive IMHO

I'm not too sure about that. While not a great deal, look at it this way. If someone gave him a first stage and just one second stage, but they needed service-how much would he be out of pocket after service if he did not do it himself?

But then there is this:
... the second stages meh.../QUOTE]

$100 euro ($110USD) for a working reg set seems like a good deal to me. I wouldn't expect it to be the best in the world. I paid about double that for each of my stages.

Is it a keeper at 100 euros? Or just in general?

-Z

Just in general.

The first stage is a good first stage, the second stages not so much. Would I pay €100 for the first stage as it's all I'd personally be interested in? No.

That sealed 1st stage is a decent one and easy to service. I've picked up two recently on eBay for about $75US ea. Add 50% penalty for being euro, and a little for the 2nds and (possibly) fresh service parts and seemingly good condition, and 100 euro shouldn't be a bad price. I don't think it would bring the asking price here in the US.

Thanks all...I have advised him to pass on it. As a new Calypso regulator with Octo is between 150-180 euros. I purchase one without an octo for my pony bottle this past spring for 125 euros...then bought I core supreme 2nd stage new for 85 euros (without hose) to build it up for my daughter to use when she is home from university.

I told my friend he is better off buying something like the Calypso and using the crap out of it for a couple years and then sell it for 50 euros or some other attractive price and then use that money to defray the cost of rinsing and repeating. He won't necessarily save money on a reg set but he will defray the cost of service which runs about 100-130 euros depending on the shop.

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom