Seeking reccomendation for smallish light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I own 4 pelican super sabers. I use them mainly as back-ups but have, on more than on occassion, used them as a primary. These are the lights that theose delrin lights are modeled after and you can pick one up for about $40us.

I've just bought this light for my two son's as their secondary light. =-)

Four C-cells and very bright. Positive on-off switch. Lifetime guarantee.

My $0.02 cents worth.

Rich

I've had one as a backup for several years now and it is a great performer. I has a very bright hot spot and subsequently does not light a very large area, but its main purpose is for looking under ledges and into cracks-- for this use it is perfect. Also, I am on my sixth set of batteries and have not had to replace the bulb yet.

As an aside, because of its size and shape, I comfortably carry mine clipped off to my right shoulder D-ring and inner-tubed (by its head) to my harness. This is generally how people attach/carry the Scout and CE lights, but it works just fine for the SL4 as well.

Nice lights, but I would not call these small lights. Bet it is hard to get parts for these in the States.

leadweight once bubbled...
Nice lights, but I would not call these small lights. Bet it is hard to get parts for these in the States.

The smallest one (mini tube) is approx 7" x 2" so yes, possibly a bit large for a BC pocket but not too big for a backup (would even function as a half decent main light.)

I've got a Maxi Compact which is a fantastic main lamp.

Don't know if they've got a distributor in the US (might be an opportunity fro someone there) but delivery shouldn't be all that much of a problem via airmail and the bulbs are standard items which can be picked up anywhere.

Ian,

Actually, a 2"X7" tube is what I would call medium in physical size. The 20 watt output is large. Main problem (aside from the high price of $233 not including freight) is that the mini-tube only burns for 35 minutes. It looks like an exercise in building a flashlight grip 20 watt light without regard to burn time. It might be ok for public service use on land but, will not get most people through a night dive as a primary, and is certainly too short for a backup.

My vote is for the Ikelite PCa. Small, cheap, and bright. Blows the SL4 and Supersabre away. Perfect for daytime looking in cracks, primary at night in clear tropical waters and as a backup to a big light in water with reduced visibility. I have all of them.

Back
Top Bottom