Small backup light recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my opinion the absolute best deal on a great back-up light is the 1000 Lumen Orca Torch sold by board member Danno with Mako Spearguns. I have two of these. One as my back-up light and another mounted on my speargun. This is a 100% genuine Orca Torch light that's simply been rebranded with the Mako logo.... and almost half the cost... It's an absolute no brainer in my opinion....

Not a bad price and on special here also, only $5 US more expensive, shame I don't need another.
In my opinion the absolute best deal on a great back-up light is the 1000 Lumen Orca Torch sold by board member Danno with Mako Spearguns. I have two of these. One as my back-up light and another mounted on my speargun. This is a 100% genuine Orca Torch light that's simply been rebranded with the Mako logo.... and almost half the cost... It's an absolute no brainer in my opinion....

View attachment 747961
I bought this at a good price here, expensive I see over your way.
I have the smaller Nova 250 as well, looks like this one only smaller, so that is my back up as per the topic.
I am happy with them both.
Is that the 850R?

I got these recently, dirt cheap. They passed the water bucket test, let's see how they work.

What about the DRIS 1000 lumen light, is that old news now?
I have two of those. They were pretty good at the time and hard to beat.
Is Dano’s 1000 light better?

What about the DRIS 1000 lumen light, is that old news now?
I have two of those. They were pretty good at the time and hard to beat.
Is Dano’s 1000 light better?
Are you guys still into the lumen race? I've always been critical towards this trend. Nothing is more irritating on a group night dive than someone with a 4-digit lumen torch.

Buddy of mine uses Orcatorch d520, it is pretty tiny for a 18650 flashlight and performs well too. I think also priced nicely.

Are you guys still into the lumen race? I've always been critical towards this trend. Nothing is more irritating on a group night dive than someone with a 4-digit lumen torch.
I don’t know, please illuminate me on the newest in fashion hip cool trend, lol. I’ve been out of the light game for a while.
I just tested one if my DRIS lights and it appears the LED unit has burned out after 12 or so years.
So now I need another light.
So if not lumen wars then what type of light wars have we moved onto, besides manufacturer bashing?

Dano!! Help, I need a light!!!

Danno's $70 light is in fact a 100% authentic Orca Torch D550....... Just with the Mako logo added......which I actually like!

I don’t know, please illuminate me on the newest in fashion hip cool trend, lol. I’ve been out of the light game for a while.
I just tested one if my DRIS lights and it appears the LED unit has burned out after 12 or so years.
So now I need another light.
So if not lumen wars then what type of light wars have we moved onto, besides manufacturer bashing?

Dano!! Help, I need a light!!!
Well, unfortunately, on every group night dive there will be at least one diver with a 5,000 lumen light. I guess, people love them for the same reason they love big dive knives.

I use old Pomex XML-L2 advertised as 1000 lumens but it never gave that much, just above 900 when point blank to the LUX meter sensor back when it was new and on new batteries. I also tend not to recharge the batteries too often so in reality I dive with something like 500-700. I've also used an even older Ikelite torch with the halogen bulb replaced with a LED (I bought the replacement kit in Lowe's) but this one cracked, so I am trying to replace it with the cheap stuff I gave the link above.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom