Small backup light recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So as mentioned I have the BigBlue 2600 as my primary (which has 120º beam), then ended up grabbing the Xtar D20 as an interim backup which I believe has an 8º beam angle (but can't actually find that info online).

I think ideally this would be a slightly beefier backup, and could be used as a primary in narrow swim through/night dive situations where I want a more focused beam for signalling etc.

I dive low viz, I like this LED:

I found the 1400-5 a tad too narrow. The 2000-10 throws noticeably more light.

My issue is not that they taper down, my issue is that people believe they are getting something they aren't.

This is my biggest issue with Chinese brand lights as well.

I have a couple of Big Blue video lights, a couple of the Orcatorch single AA lights, and I will buy more. I chose them mostly because I felt that they suited my purposes better than other choices. But I went into it well aware that the lumen ratings were very exaggerated.

But you can easily tell when a claim is exaggerated, look at the battery size and the claimed output vs reputable brands. If they are out of line, they are exaggerated as while there are some improvements in LEDs and batteries, it is no longer the huge improvements we were seeing in the past.

NiteScuba S12 $36 USD
Scuba Diving Flashlight Dive Torch 1200 Lumen Underwater 100m XPH50 LED Camping Tactical Flashlight Handheld Spearfishing Lights with Battery and Charger Back up Light NiteScuba S12 https://a.co/d/iUcLJ8W

NiteScuba S20 $50 USD
Diving Flashlight Underwater Lights Scuba Diving Flashlight 2000 Lumens Underwater 100M/330F Narrow Beam 8 Degree Flashlite Torch Light Nitescuba S20 https://a.co/d/hnd51M8

I'll be diving tomorrow in Puget Sound at Sund Rock and will have video/pics of then in use in our stellar 15' vis cold water

Attachments

• 20220611_150236.jpg
    20220611_150236.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 52
  • 20220611_150249.jpg
    20220611_150249.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 56
This little guy...

Going back to the 1400-30000-5 module, the 2000-30000-10 throws too much light and in my usual poor conditions creates too much back scatter.

scubapro-novalight-850r-torch-.jpg

I bought this at a good price here, expensive I see over your way.
I have the smaller Nova 250 as well, looks like this one only smaller, so that is my back up as per the topic.
I am happy with them both.

Back
Top Bottom